Storing Charcoal?

d kyser

How do you guys store Charcoal and how long is it good for?
I have a bag that has been in the shed a few months, unopened and kept dry, this should still be good shouldnt it?

If I buy a lot and keep it on my porch that has a roof but otherwise open, should I store it in something or just keep the bags dry?

should be fine. i store mine ina shed and buy bags by the pallet for the winter. in the People's Republic of Wisconsin it is illegal to buy or sell charcoal in the winter stores just dont stock it here heathens run this state. i am forced to stock up and meter my usage. if i run out no bbq till spring.

storing it on a porch proly wont be a good idea as moisture will invade the bags over time. as for the bag in your shed its prolly just fine.

If kept inside, in a cool, dry place, it will last forever almost. Outside?, you have sun, wind and moisture to deal with. It's a crap shoot. Alot depends on where you live. I would never store charcoal outside where I live, covered or not.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Jon Merka:
in the People's Republic of Wisconsin it is illegal to buy or sell charcoal in the winter stores just dont stock it here heathens run this state.
Jon, What parts of this Republic are you in? I have no problems finding Kingsford during winter months although, my stash now is plentiful. And this is in an unattached garage.

I keep all my charcoal and wood in a 55 gallon rubber maid trash can with a lid outdoors! I've never had a problem with my wood or charcoal!

Originally posted by Ralph G:
I keep all my charcoal and wood in a 55 gallon rubber maid trash can with a lid outdoors! I've never had a problem with my wood or charcoal!

Me too. I sprung for the one that sits on its own dolly.

I have a deck storage box like this one where I keep the bag or two that I'm currently using. If I have more, the excess is inside, in the garage. I've never had any problems - the box is much more waterproof than you'd think to look at it. I do usually fold the top of the bag and secure it with a giant size binder clip.

I have a Suncast storage unit next to my pits outside where I keep one or two bags, wood, chimneys, etc...
My main stash gets placed on a 4x4 sheet of plywood in the rafters in the garage. Keeps it dry and out of the way.
And if you can't find charcoal in the our fine dang near communist state during the winter, you need to look a little harder, or stop by the Yacht Club.
icon_biggrin.gif

My non-attached garage has a handy "attic" - complete with a recycled pull-down/fold-out ladder.

I can stock-pile it up there - stays dry & out of the sun.

Main thing I find is get it off the floor, so that it does not soak-up moisture underneath the bag(s).

I used to have about 10 bags in my shed, but BJ's carries Kingsford all year long, so I usually just have two bags in the shed.

Back