Slaw???

Bob Haskins

TVWBB Member
I know there's a million recipes out there for slaw but how about your favorites.
I'm having corn bread, garlic cream smashed potatoes, and chili with my baby backs and will round it out with the slaw.

Bob, my mother's coleslaw, especially her techinique from the 1950's or even earlier, is the best ever for other applications, but the flavor profile just didn't quite work with pulled pork sandwiches.

I have to tell you though, KEVIN'S BUTERMILK COLESLAW is a very similar recipe to my Mom's, but he has changed the flavors (without my Mom's help, mind you, but she would be proud) to be as perfect a combination to go with BBQ and pulled pork as I've ever tried over a lot of years. I'll bet I've tried more coleslaw recipes than any member here.

Also, I would be embarrassed to tell you how long...er,....how well,....that this particular coleslaw keeps in the fridge!

Yeah, I kinda like it,
Rita

My favorite is from a book, The Legends of Texas BBQ. ITs a really simple recipe which is better after a day or two. Put on a pulled pork sammich is heaven.

This is the one I always go with -

North Carolina Coleslaw

This coleslaw is for topping North Carolina Pulled Pork Sandwiches

3/4 Head Green cabbage, shredded
1/4 Head Purple cabbage, shredded
3-1/2 Carrots, grated (I like 'em mandolined better - 1/16")
1-1/2 Cup Heavy mayonnaise
1 Cup White vinegar
1/3 Cup Sugar
1 Tbsp. Celery seeds
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix the cabbage and carrots together. Whisk together all other ingredients. Stir the dressing into the cabbage and mix well.
Refrigerate before serving.

I don't like to fool around and make slaw complicated. Here's a quick and simple slaw recipe.

1 Jar Marzettis Slaw Dressing
3 Bags Pre-chopped Slaw mix

Mix together in a ziploc bag, let rest 1 hour and voila! Seriously, it's pretty darn good! Don't read the directions on the jar or bag, 1 jar is more than enough for 3 bag after the cabbage leaches out it's water!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
I don't like to fool around and make slaw complicated. Here's a quick and simple slaw recipe.

1 Jar Marzettis Slaw Dressing
3 Bags Pre-chopped Slaw mix

Mix together in a ziploc bag, let rest 1 hour and voila! Seriously, it's pretty darn good! Don't read the directions on the jar or bag, 1 jar is more than enough for 3 bag after the cabbage leaches out it's water! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So let's complicate this a little bit! Do you leach the water out of the cabbage before you add the Marzettis? If so, how??

On the other hand, does the water leach out after you add the Marzettis? Wouldn't that make kind of a runny mess in the Ziplock?

icon_confused.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

JimT

Back