Go Anywhere gas

DS Moore

TVWBB Member
I picked up a go anywhere gas several months back, tried some hot dogs on it real quick just to make sure it worked, and then put it on a shelf in my garage. Then recently I brought it with me on vaction and was a little disappointed.

I pre-heated it for about 12 minutes on high and then threw on some burgers (about 3/4 lbs). I left them on for about 5 minutes to sear and then went to flip and there were no grill marks at all, so I kept going and even though they were large they seemed to take forever to cook.

Another night I tried some bone-in thighs, I pre-heated and put the chciken on high for 10 minutes and then flipped and only one piece had any char marks at all. I ended up cooking them for just over 30 minutes on direct high.

Although in the end the food tasted OK, I wasn't overly impressed. I bought it mainly for it's compactness and portablity, but I am expecting to much out of it? Has anybody had any success with one of these?

icon_confused.gif

-Dave

What kind of tank are you using?

If you're using a 20lb with the adapter hose, turn the tank on about 2 minutes before turning the burner on and lighting the grill. (bypass) If you're using a disposable tank, give us a call, you may have a defective valve and regulator.

I was using a disposable tank, the long thin ones, not the coleman type. The other cooks were all using the same tank so I thought I'd try a new one with the same result. I'll call the support line and see what they say.

Thanks,
-Dave

This is a stale topic, but I'll reply anyway.

My Gas Go-Anywhere doesn't get hot enough to really sear a steak well. It seems to do okay with burgers and does great chicken. Also it makes a great platform for a Lodge cast iron griddle to make pancakes.

The 1 pound tanks are pretty worthless- especially in cool weather. When the tank drops to about 1/4 full it has trouble putting enough gas out- it gets too cold to vaporize well. I have a 5 pound refillable tank which works great- plus I can always use the 20 pound tank off my trailer.

Back