Roasted Pineapple-Dijon Sauce

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Roasted Pineapple-Dijon Sauce

I made this up the other night for a whole fresh ham I grill-roasted on the WSM for a party of twenty. (I'd brined the ham in an a.j./water mix with lots of garlic, thyme, peppercorns and a little sugar, and rubbed with a paste of hot sauce, garlic, turbinado, thyme, onion and cumin. Grill-roasted @ 325 grate till 160 internal and used hickory with orange wood. The leg was 19lbs and took about 7 hours. I served it with spiced black beans, brown jasmine rice with butternut squash, toasted pine nuts, garlic and pomegranate molasses mixed in and a side salad of spinach, red onion, hearts of palm, and grapefruit and clementine sections with a buckboard bacon-fresh o.j. vinaigrette.)

This would be good with other pork roasts and with smoked turkey as well. Make sure to rest your meat and save the juices that accumulate during the rest.

1 dried guajillo chile, stem and seeds removed, torn into several pieces

1/2 fresh pineapple, peeled, eyes removed, cut in chunks

1/3 stick unsalted butter plus 2 T, divided

1 1/2 T brown sugar

1 t minced fresh ginger

5 small shallots, chopped

1/2 t dried thyme

1/2 c white wine

1/2 c Dijon

3/4 c chicken stock

several turns of the black peppermill

some juices from the foil of the rested meat

Preheat the oven to 400. Put the chile pieces in a bowl and cover with very hot water. Melt the 1/3 stick butter and stir in the brown sugar and ginger. Put the pineapple chunks on a sheet pan and paint the chunk's surfaces with the butter mix using a pastry brush. Flip the chunks and paint the other side; reserve any remaining butter mix. Place the sheet pan in the oven and roast 10-15 min, turning the chunks once halfway through roasting. Remove from the oven.

Meanwhile, heat a 10-inch saute pan over med-high heat then melt the 2 T butter in the pan. Add the shallots and thyme, lower the heat to med and saute, stirring occasionally, till soft, about 4-5 min. Drain the chile pieces and add them to the shallots. Add the wine, stir well, raise the heat to med-high, and bring to a simmer. Reduce the wine by half then add the reserved butter mix, Dijon, chicken stock, black pepper and the pineapple chunks, scraping in any accumulated pineapple juices from the pan. Allow to come to a simmer, remove from heat, puree, then keep warm by returning to the pan over very low heat or by holding in an insulated container.

For service, drain the juices from the rested meat into a pot or Pyrex cup. Stir about a 1/2 c into the sauce. The sauce should be fairly thick. Add more meat juices if you wish though. Salt to taste; serve.

This is a must-cook and I've already copied it. Well written, Kevin; lots of fabulous flavors.

Rita

Back