Salsa Verde Recipe

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
This is my own recipe, one that I made to try and simulate the salsa served at the taco trucks and small taquerias in my area that cater mostly to an immigrant crowd. I'm a gringo and I love it--give it a try!

6 Tomatillos, with husk
2 Jalopenos, cut in half, seeds removed out of all but 1 slice
A bunch of cilantro (by bunch, a big fist size handful...a LOT)
1/2 small white onion
1/2 Tbs. worchestershire sauce
1 Tsp. Salt
3 large cloves garlic, husk removed, kept whole
1/2 Tbs. White vinegar
1/4 tsp. fine ground black pepper

Dehusk the tomatillos and place all of them, along with the garlic cloves and jalopenos into 1 quart of boiling water. Allow the water to come back only to a simmer and simmer for 7-8 minutes. Drain water and allow to cool for a few minutes.

Next, put the tomatillos, garlic, jalapenos, and the half onion (cut in half again) into a cuisenart with the metal blades (or a decent blender). Puree. Next, add the vinegar, worchestershire, salt, and pepper. Blend well , or pulse a few times in the cuisenart. Finally, tear off the head of the cilatro "bunch" and throw the whole thing...including the short stems that will still be attached the cilatro leaves...into the blender or cuisenart. Pulse several times until well incorporated and the leaves are chopped a bit. The mixture should be thin, thinner than most salsas. If it is too chunky, add a little bit of water at a time and pulse again. Put into a bowl and allow to cool. Just before serving, squeeze a little lime juice into the salsa to taste.

I love this salsa! I crave it on super hot days. It really seems to cool you down for some reason. It is great with chips, or even with some great WSM tri tip. Hope you guys and gals like it!

Back