Probe going bad mid cook

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Has anyone ever had a Stoker food probe go bad on them mid cook? Thursday night I started a two butt cook, everything seemed to be going well and temps were where they needed to through the first 12 hours, she got to 165 and stayed there for 6 hours while the other butt (1.5 lbs smaller) moved along as it should have. I chalked this up to a stubborn butt. When the smaller butt got to 180 at the 21 hour mark the probe in question was only reading 170. When I removed the probe from the smaller butt I placed it in the larger butt. Wrapped and stored the butt and then looked at Stokerlog and the 2nd probe I placed was reading 188 and the original was at 170. Took out my Maverick and confirmed the second probe I placed was accurate.

Has anyone ever experineced something like this mid cook? I'm confident when I started the cook she was dialed in as she was reading the internal temp of the butt correctly (40 degrees).

Think I just need to calibrate again? What would cause it to "de-calibrate" mid cook?

I've never had that happen to me. Check to see if it lost the calibration somehow. Perhaps there was a momentary loss of power that reset it? (I know, reaching...)

OK, so I dialed in the probe in question and she just went out on me mid cook again. What gives? It's really odd, she was working fine, I'm running her side by side with another probe, both were sitting 2 - 6 degrees apart, got to about 170 and she drops to 140, wth?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
OK, so I dialed in the probe in question and she just went out on me mid cook again. What gives? It's really odd, she was working fine, I'm running her side by side with another probe, both were sitting 2 - 6 degrees apart, got to about 170 and she drops to 140, wth? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, pretty bizzar - have you tried cleaning your 1/4" phone connectors? I've had some weird things happen, not like that, but cleaned and polished my 1/4 phone jacks with scotchbrite pads and it fixed the weirdness on mine. Give it a shot. Swap the probes around to different input jacks and see if you get the same result. You might be able to isolate a bad probe.

Test them in your kitchen oven or with boiling water (don't completly submerge, you knew that, but I had to say it, it's a CYA kinda thing.)

Back