Technique - Heat part of a brine with herbs & spices?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Generally I don’t find it necessary to heat a brine using salt and sugar. But it seems like a good idea to steep herbs, spices, fresh garlic, and fresh ginger in at least part of the water portion in a brine to extract maximum flavor.

Any thoughts?

Rita

I do it with those items. I usually take a small amount of the liquid portion and the ingredients that need some heat--the spices and herbs but not citrus juices, zests, nor wines; nor all--just some--of the ginger--then blend into the rest of the liquid immediately after, adding any solids that weren't included and mixing/mashing as needed. Garlic I include because it can use some cooking so that its sharpness softens.

Had to move quickly and didn't finish...

I don't include citrus juices and zests nor all the ginger because I use their fragrances to tell me when their levels are what I'm shooting for, and cooking them knocks off much of their high notes, the notes most easiest to use for this. Wine doesn't need heating but if I'm looking for more concentrated flavor from it I'll reduce it first, separately. Ditto for vinegar(s).

I heat up some of the liquid to make sure the salt, sugar and honey get dissolved properly. I'll squeeze the oranges and put the ginger into the warm liquid but remember, never take the liquid above 140 when using honey.
icon_wink.gif

Back