Knife Sharpeners

Ryan Ko

TVWBB Super Fan
I am sure there are other threads on this. I did a search and read through a few, but really didn't get the answers I was looking for. I am probably too late in posting this since I already bought one of these, but I will do it anyway. I have done some pretty extensive research on the internet and it appears there are three main leaders in the knife sharpening world.
1. Chefs Choice 130 electric sharpener
2. Spyerco Sharp Maker
3. EdgePro Apex

The first and last are about the same cost and the middle is considerably cheaper. Depending on which reviews/opinions you read you will get 3 different answers on which is better. Can anyone share their thoughts on these. I just want to be able to sharpen my kitchen knives without having to send them away.

I just bought the Apex....still waiting for it to arrive, hope today or tomorrow. After much research i decided to not go with electric and went with the Apex. Most everything i've read is very positive re: the Apex. Bit of a learning curve but once you get it you'll have sum sharp knives.

I've had the Apex for about 2 years now.

If you start out with one of the more basic kits, you can always expand it (add finer and/or coarser stones) as you learn to use it and if you get nicer knives.

Since it is a manual sharpener, using water stones, you will not take the temper out of the blade like you can with over-zealous use of an electric.

I really think that it's REALLY hard to beat for putting very sharp, precision edges on your knives, if you do not mind spending a few bucks.

Well because of the cost difference and the large number of good reviews I read about it, I bought the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I am supposed to have it tomorrow and I have some knives that are in need of a good edge! I am still curious what everyone thinks of these 3 (and maybe others).

I've also read good reviews of the Spyderco stuff (they're supposed to have a large, fine diamond bench stone that gets RAVE reviews).

If you take good care of your knives, such that they only really need an occasional touch-up, and if you have a steady hand / good eye to ensure that you're working the proper part of the edge - I would bet that the Sharpmaker will work for you. (My Dad has a ceramic set of honing rods that we use for maintaining the edge on our fillet knives - and this actually works quite well. I got three stitches and didn't even feel it when I cut myself a few years back and the Spyderco is a more modern and better version of this......)

The Apex EdgePro is the one you want for any knife you spent more than 25 bucks on.

I have both the EdgePro and the Cooks 130 (bought the cooks years ago) The cooks works great on an inexpensive knife, and will give you a scary sharp edge in no time. But it only has one angle. They make a different one that claims to do both Euro and Asian blades (2 angles to choose from) but the EdgePro allows an infinite range, which is what you want if you have any high quality, high dollar knives

Anybody ever used this sharpener?
http://www.wickededgeusa.com/

Looks pretty cool from the demos I have seen but that's how demos are supposed to work right?
icon_biggrin.gif

I've had a spyderco triangle sharpmaker for 18 years. I would recommend getting the diamond stones when you can afford the upgrade.

Since the angle is fixed (or the new ones have both 20 and 30 degrees I think), you will have to grind a new knife to the fixed angle of the sharpener. Compared to say the apex that adjusts to fit the knife.

If you have to take some material of a steel kitchen knife you'll want the diamonds or you'll be stroking the gray stones for an hour.

I love spyderco stuff and I've had one of the first spyderco serrated folding knives since 1982 and it is still sharp!

the new ones have both 20 and 30 degrees I think), you will have to grind a new knife to the fixed angle of the sharpener.
Which might be fine if you are using most American or European knives. Not, however, for Japanese knives, most of which have angles at half those numbers - or less. (Those are what I use exclusively. Spyderco will not work for them. Your knives now - or what you plan to buy/use in the future - should be a big part of the decision.)

I had a Chef's Choice 110 for years, received it as a gift. It was OK, and it still works.

I have the Apex pro for awhile now, not going back. Simply a great system. I also picked up japanese stones for it. Worth the $$, but not necessary.

Probably going to get rid of the Chef's Choice at this point.

What type of Japanese stones is that Ray? And whats the difference? I have only used the normal ones from the apex 4(including the polish tapes) I resharpend an old hitlerjugend knife...For a guy @ my brothers work.(he is a collector) He was so pleased and dident know an old steel like that could be so sharp.

Back