Boneless and bone-in chicken

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a unique challenge ahead for tomorrow's bowl games....my wife will only eat boneless, skinless chicken breast, yet I want bone-in breast and thighs. We are cooking for a crowd and this may consist of two separate cooks. Typically I cook bone-in chicken over indirect heat for 30-40 min, then finish off on direct heat to crisp up the skin and give it one lasting basting of sauce. Is it better to cook boneless chicken breasts over direct or indirect heat? She wants BBQ sauce on hers, so I guess I can apply that at some point in which hers is over direct heat?

I would cook them together using the same method of indirect, then saucing and charring to finish. The main thing you want to avoid is overcooking/drying out. Pull both the BSB and the whole breasts between 160º-165º and the thighs 175º-180º

I would combine both into one cook. Do the bone in how you discribed with the indirect and when you go to finish it direct, add more coals to increase your direct cooking surface area and throw on the chicken breat. More than likely the bone in will be done right after you turn the chicken breast so you can pull that and tent, add your sauce to the CB, and pull when you its done which should not take too long. Thats just my thoughts if everything can fit on one grill.

Russell,

I'm with you; I cook my chicken indirectly. As far as the sauces; I apply at the very end so it doesn't burn (assuming most Q sauces use sugar). The debate over direct vs indirect is really based on the temps. What will you be grilling the chicken on? With my kettle, I frequently move pieces in and out of the direct zone to finish them off. If you grill on the WSM on the top rack, you can grill it direct since there is a good distance between the coals and grate. You might consider marinating the pieces before hand too. The group should love it.

You will be fine (IMO) doing both together but I would really like to see a brine on (at least) the BLSL breast.
Gives you a bit of a safety margin and (IMO) a great flavor enhancement opportunity.

Paul, I will be cooking in my kettle grill, and typically I have one side direct, and one side indirect w/ drip pan underneath. I like for my direct side to be real hot, 400F-500F, so the skin gets crisp, and the sauce can caramelize when applied at the end.

I think I will marinate some of the bone-in chicken with the Roadside Chicken marinade, and the others will be sauced at the end. As far as the BLSL breast, they will definitely be brined overnight--I do agree with your assessment Marc.

I think I may throw on a few chicken wings as well!

Thanks for all of the good ideas guys!

Originally posted by Paul K:
Russell,

I'm with you; I cook my chicken indirectly. As far as the sauces; I apply at the very end so it doesn't burn (assuming most Q sauces use sugar). The debate over direct vs indirect is really based on the temps. What will you be grilling the chicken on? With my kettle, I frequently move pieces in and out of the direct zone to finish them off. If you grill on the WSM on the top rack, you can grill it direct since there is a good distance between the coals and grate. You might consider marinating the pieces before hand too. The group should love it.

Cook it all together, scrap the BSBs all together, and cut your wife's chicken off the breast when it comes off the grill. No offense to her, but where does she think the BSBs come from?

Originally posted by Mike R.:
Cook it all together, scrap the BSBs all together, and cut your wife's chicken off the breast when it comes off the grill. No offense to her, but where does she think the BSBs come from?

If it were only that easy Mike! She's a very picky eater, and the visual of chicken skin, fat, and bone marrow freaks her out. I wish I had known that 8 years ago when we met, but oh well...I've learned to deal with it....ala we don't eat much chicken.

My wife is the same way. I'm always looking for new, exciting ways to cook boneless chicken breasts. Let me know if you see any, Russell.

I've been using the Roadside chicken marinade for BSB's and it has been great. My family prefers boneless chicken, and it definitely cooks faster. I've been marinating for 4-6 hrs. and so far, it has not been dry. I cook to 145° ~ 150°, then pull & rest under tented foil for a few minutes. Total cook time < 10 minutes.

BSB's are so lean that there's not really any need to cook them indirect. Marinate them as you see fit and throw them over direct heat around when you move your bone-in thighs to direct heat to finish. BSB's cook in about 3-4 minutes per side on a hot grill so they should be done around the same time.

Back