Best Bowl of Red (Chili That is)

G

Hi everyone, i have been working on my chili recipe for some time. I can't say its entirely my own because ive used bits and pieces from a variety recipes ive seen (i was like oh ya thats a good idea so id try it in my recipe) but anyways here goes:

First i sweat 1-2 onions in a hot stew pot. I prefer vidialia but i can't get them all yea or course. I add ceyene pepper, and salt and ground pepper to the onions. When the onions are soft i add about 2 pounds of usually chuck steak that i have cut into small cubes. I sear the meat on a high temp to seal the juices. After the meat is seared i add water just to the level that is covers the meat. I add one chipolte pepper, about a 2 teaspoons of oregeno, about 2 tablespoons of cumin, 2 bay leaves, and either a half a pack of hot italian sausage links cut up or a ham hock.
I boil this mixture for about 30 minutes (makes some good broth). I think add one large can (28oz) of crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 can of chili beans (not kidney beans i think there is a BIG difference), 3 tablespoons of chili powder, and 1 beer.

I cook this for about 30min-1hr. I think had two tablespoons of masa harina to a coffee cup and enough water just to mix it. I then slowy add the mixture to the chili. I think cook the chili for 30 min longer.

This seems to make a very good bowl of red.

I think my chili is pretty much on the Texas side. Yes i knwo i do add one can of beans but to a entire bowl of chili; 1 can isn't much. I don't like a lot of beans in my chili but i do like some.

Ok guys you can help out here by posting your favorite chili recipe or if you like post some suggestions to mine.

Brent,
I was hangin with you all the way till you put in the beans. I'm not from Texas. Married into a Texas family. As my late daddy-in-law (may he RIP) was fond of saying, "Anybody that knows beans about chili, knows there ain't no beans in chili."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Provance:
Brent,
I was hangin with you all the way till you put in the beans. I'm not from Texas. Married into a Texas family. As my late daddy-in-law (may he RIP) was fond of saying, "Anybody that knows beans about chili, knows there ain't no beans in chili." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, hey Mike whats up. Ya i knew i would get some texan mad mentioning beans & chili in the same post. Like i said though, the beans are very very light. You got to admit im doing pretty good for a yank though
icon_wink.gif
. Most people around here make thier chili with plain hamburgar and a thin tomato sauce. They also LOAD it with beans. Got to give me some credit there LOL

Do you happen to have a really good recipe for a bowl of red that you would recommend?

Brent

And, being from IL, you've likely had it over macaroni at the Steak n' Shake. I don't care for beans in my chili-dog chili, but I don't mind them in a bowl. Pass the oyster crackers, please.

And the discrepancy goes on and on about beans being in chili. I personally like chuck roast as opposed to ground beef, no beans please. But my husband was raised on ground beef and bean chili, made with a chili seasoning packet. To him, this is chili, and I have to say, it's definitely not mine. I like beans, I really do, but chili is chili, and chili and beans is chili and beans. There is a difference.

I love chili made with New mexican peppers, but my wife make a chili with beans that is outstanding. Just need to find room for both in my case.
Jim

Just need to find room for both in my case.

Now now you ain't complaining there, are ya Jim??
icon_biggrin.gif

Big Al

Well, I'm a Texan that falls squarely into the no beans camp, but I can tell you there is disagreement about that even here. My wife's family wouldn't dream of making chili without beans, and her Grandmother's maiden name was Houston! (As in General Sam...) Needless to say, I've come to appreciate chili both ways.

Anyway, my family always used the Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm Chili kit. I did a quick search & found a couple of places you could order it online, but also came across this recipe where someone measured out the ingredients that looks pretty accurate.

Back