Dumplings

Jeff S

TVWBB Pro
I am making dumplings to bring in for our company Tday meal. I normally used canned biscuits in chicken stock and boil.
Do any of you have any ideas on how to take this up a notch? I am not fond of the flat dumplings in the freezer section. They just don't do it for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I think you could improve on the canned biscuits by making your own. This recipe makes about 12 dumplings. I usually do one addition or another to make them more interesting. Some possibilities: Course ground black pepper or white pepper, 1 teaspoon of chopped chives, sage or thyme.

1 cup all purpose flour
1 T unsalted butter
1 T lard (firmed in freezer for 10 min)
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
About 1/2 cup buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients. Work the butter and lard into the flour mixture with your fingers until the fat is broken into pea sized pieces. Stir in buttermilk just until the mixture comes together into a dough. The amount of liquid is approximate. You don't want the dough to be too wet. Also important not to overmix.

Use two spoons to form into oblong shapes, then drop into hot chicken soup (or stock). Cover and reduce the heat to a very low simmer. After five minutes gently flip them with a spoon. After 10 minutes total check one to see if it is done. You don't want to over cook them.

I usually have them as a component of soup. If doing just the dumplings, they'd probably benefit from a bechamel sauce or maybe a couple of tablespoons of brown butter sauce.

Back