COIL CROCANTE TO THE NOCCIOLE CREAM

G

italia ;
ROTOLO CROCCANTE ALLA CREMA DI NOCCIOLE
INGREDIENTS: Paste fillo Cream of nocciole - nutella - Pere Butter Granella of nocciole Honey rosmarino
PROCEDURE: to peel and cut to cubetti the pear and make it wither in frying pan with the butter and of the honey Leave cool

We toast in frying pan of the pinoli… will turn out croccanti

In one nonstick frying pan to put of the butter and the honey to make to melt to sweet fire To prepare trito of rosmarino To spread the first paste sheet fillo and to leave you to fall of the drops of butter and honey previously fused and to add one dusted of rosmarino previously tritato To overlap an other paste sheet fillo and to repeat the operation until using two three to conserve two that will serve to you in breach case during the rolling up To put in a bain-marie the cream of nocciole in order to render it softer, to spalmare the cream of nocciole on the auspicious sheet of fillo adding to the pears and the pinoli To roll up to spiral or as preferred it leaves it entire tube shape…

To serve if it goes to you with of the cream to the vaniglia
wines: barolo chinato dott CAPPELLANO
PASSITO DI Pantelleria BEN RYE DONNA FUGATA

SALUTI ronnie

hi kevin
I have cooked the paste fillo little minuteren when it turns out gilded is ready

The sauces are: sauce of strawberries: to mix the strawberries with of the sugar of cane and balsamic vinegar and mint. to cook until shrinking and adding to the butter the other is caramel

grazie per la tua disponibilità thanks for your availability

Grill-baked Pear-Hazelnut Filo Rolls w/strawberry coulis & caramel sauce

This creative dessert of Ronnie's looks easy to make and quite delicious. It is made with Nutella, a sweet hazelnut and cocoa paste from northern Italy that is, fortunately, available here (try the 'international' section of the store or try near the peanut butter; most Whole Foods also carry it as does most Trader Joe's).

The two sauces--the strawberry coulis and the caramel--can easily be made ahead of time. For best results, assemble the filo roll not too long before baking. (If grilling steaks then perhaps make the roll while the steaks come up to room temp. If grill-roasting a larger roast, make the roll after the roast goes into the grill. Either way, place the roll on a piece of parchment or wax paper on a plate then cover with plastic so that the filo does not dry excessively; leave at room temp till cook time.)

The filo roll may also be baked in a 325 oven rather than in a grill if desired.

The amounts below will make one roll, serving two. Scale up the amounts proportionately to make more if necessary.

The roll:

2 filo sheets*

1 just-ripe pear

3 T unsalted butter

2 T honey

3 T pine nuts

1/4 c Nutella

1/2 t minced fresh rosemary (do not use dried)

Strawberry coulis:

1 T unsalted butter

2 c ripe strawberries, hulled and quartered

1/2 c sugar

2 t balsamic vinegar

2-3 mint leaves, shredded (or 1/2 dried)

very tiny pinch salt

Caramel:

1 c sugar

6 T unsalted butter

1/2 c heavy whipping cream

tiny pinch table salt

For the roll:

Heat a dry, medium non-stick saute pan over medium heat, add the pine nuts and cook, stirring frequently, till lightly toasted all over, about 2-3 min. Immediately spread the pine nuts on a plate to cool. Return the pan to the heat, turn it down to low and add the butter.

While the butter melts, peel the pear. Add the honey to the butter in the pan. Slice the pear in half lengthwise, scoop out the core with a teaspoon, then dice the pear and add it to the pan. Increase the heat to med-high and cook the pear, stirring often till it releases some juices and softens a little, about 3-4 min. Remove the pan from the heat and, using a slotted spoon, remove the pear from the pan and place in a small bowl, leaving much of the honey-butter in the pan. Shut off the burner and place the pan with the honey-butter on a cold burner.

Take about 1 T of the toasted pine nuts and pulse in a grinder to a powder (alternatively, use a sharp knife); reserve for garnish.

Place the Nutella in a small bowl. Heat an inch of water in a small pot and place the bowl with the Nutella on top of the pot so that the bowl is over--not in--the heating water. Stir periodically till the Nutella softens.

Assembly:

Remove one of the reserved filo sheets and place on a sheet of wax paper or parchment on a sheetpan. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the filo with some of the reserved honey-butter taking care not to get any on the parchement or wax paper. Scatter half the minced rosemary over the filo.

Place the other filo sheet directly on top of the one just prepared and brish with reserved honey butter lightly; dust with the rest of the minced rosemary. Return any remaining honey-butter to the bowl with the reserved pears.

Using a fork, scoop up the softened Nutella and drizzle all over the filo; repeat till all is used. Scatter the 2 T of reserved whole toasted pine nuts over the filo then, using a small spoon, make scatter mosts of the pears over the filo, reserving about a T in the bowl to use as a topping after the roll has baked.

Gently roll the filo into a loose cylinder starting from one of the short ends. (It's helpful to start the process by lifting up on the parchment or wax paper, rather than the filo, to begin the rolling process.)

Leave seam side down on the parchment, plastic wrap draped over it and a dampened kitchen towel over the plastic, till cook time.

To cook, carefully slide the filo roll off the parchment and onto the frehsly oiled grill grate so that it cooks indirectly. Cover the grill during cooking. Cook time will depend on grill temp. Cook just till the filo is lightly browned and crisp, a few minutes to as many as 10-12, again, depending on temp.

Bring a sheetpan and long spatula with you so that the pan can be placed next to the roll so that it doesn't have to be lifted far. Lift gently onto the sheetpan.

Cut the roll using a sharp knife in half. Dust two dessert plates with the reserved minced or ground pine nuts and place a half-roll on each plate. Top with the reserved pears and any reamining honey-butter. Spoon the coulis and the caramel sauce around the plates. Garnish with a sage or mint sprig if you like; serve.

For the coulis:

Melt the butter in a medium pot over med-high heat. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil, reducethe heat to med, then simmer 10-12 min. Cool slightly then puree until smooth. Force through a fine strainer into a bowl; cool; reserve in the fridge if making ahead of time. (The sauce may be re-warmed in the microwave before use, if desired.)

For the caramel sauce:

Make sure all ingredients are at the ready before you begin. The process is fast. Your attention must be undivided or the sugar can easily burn.

Using a 3-qt pot with high sides, heat the sugar over high heat. As soon as it starts to melt whisk constantly but gently so as not to splash it. (Melted sugar is hotter than boiling water--its burns are NASTY--be careful.)

As soon as all the sugar crystals have melted and the sugar has taken on a dark amber color immediately add the butter. (it will foam up considerably.) Whisk constantly with some vigor (don't splash!).

As soon as the butter has melted remove the pot from the heat. Add the heavy cream to the pot. (It will foam up considerably.) Whisk till the sauce is smooth. Allow to cool a few minutes in the pot then pour into a heat-proof bowl or jar; cool further then store in fridge, covered. Warm before using.

* Remove one of the two filo packages from the box the filo came in then follow the package instructions to thaw. Shortly before they are needed, carefully open the package on one end, gently unroll the dough, and lift off the two needed sheets carefully (or take 1 or 2 more in case of damage). Stack the sheets on a flat surface, cover with a sheet of plastic, then cover the plastic with a dampened kitchen towel till the time they are needed. Seal and return the filo package to the fridge.

ok
ottima descrizione e grazi
molto gentile come al solito

thanks for the description much kind one

This looks fantastic! Only problem is that I have a filo phobia. I tried to make Croatian Burek one time and it was kind of a disaster! I may have to try it again, though, using the wet towel method.

Grazie, Ronnie and Kevin!

I love burek. I used to do small versions for apps on aMediterannnean menu years ago.

What is the filo problem?

Well, the problem for me was that it dried out really quickly. The recipe I was using said to keep brushing the sheets with butter, but I didn't want to use too much...so they started to dry and crisp before I could roll the Burek (I was making the Dubrovnik kind, which is not the "pie" people normally associate with Burek. It is rolled into the shape of a snail with spiced meat inside). I think using wet tea towels would definately help, though.

I make the 'snail' kind too.

Place a sheet of plastic over the unused stack then a dampened towel over the plastic. Direct contact with the filo by the towels will make it stick together--not a good thing. Fold the plastic and towel back, remove a sheet, replace the plastic/towel, brush the sheet with butter; repeat.

Use a wide pastry brush--I use a 3-incher; it makes it go quickly. Just dip the tips of the bristles in then brush half the sheet; dip again and brush the other half. It is not necessary to saturate the filo, it's necessary to brush the sheet once though as it is the butter in combination with the dough that, during cooking, causes the dough sheets to cook individually and stay flaky and separate, whether you are making some that requirs stacked sheets or simply topping a single sheet with filling and rolling it.

Work quickly!

Back