Probe vs Oven Thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent

I made a beer can chicken in the One Touch last night. It turned out nice, but for temperature reading I dropped my probe down the top vent, and put an oven thermometer on the grill. The grill thermometer read 25 degrees less than the probe. I figured 325 or 350 was fine for the chicken, but I'm wondering which thermometer is more trustworthy. Should I get a new oven thermometer? Should I use the probe only for inside the meat? I did eventually move the probe inside the breast and took it off at 165, and it seemed accurate for that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">oven thermometer on the grill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have not found my oven thermometer to be very accurate. Best one for me is my Thermopen - used before taking meat off the heat.

ray

Brent
Generally Lid temp is higher than grill temp.
Because of the convection use the mean average between the two. However the most accurate method is a probe in the meat which will give you the internal temp then you have to use feel and judgement for donnesss.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back