Truffle Oil - Brand & Source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G. Cagnoni, available here. They also have Fallo Dijon, great coucous, a very interesting honey selection--and fennel pollen!

Thanks, Kevin. I was out of walnut oil too, so ordered that and farro as well. The fennel pollen is tempting but I'm not quite ready for it yet.

I'm glad to have your heads-up on quality ingredients. There are so many out there that it's hard to know the good from the bad without shelling out megabucks in order to compare them.

Rita

Jim, good question! I was making Brent W's White Truffle Butter ( here) to top some grilled ribeyes.

I was about out of white truffle oil and it had lost quite a bit of its flavor, but it was still excellent in Brent's recipe. I can only imagine how good it will be with the new stuff (arriving in a week or so)!

I also use it in salad dressings (esp. potato and rice salads) and risotto. There are many more applications.

Rita

Truffle oil, be it black or white is delicious. I've been using this stuff for a few years on various things. Perhaps one of the better things you can do with it is to melt a half pound of butter, and then add a good amount of truffle oil to it while it's hot. Turn off the fire and let it start cooling down. Put a wire whip into it and start to churn it around a bit. The butter mix will eventually turn into an incredibly tastefull spreadable paste. I absolutely love putting this blend onto cooked shellfish. Shrimp, scallops, crab and lobster play very nicely with this compound butter.

The Cagnoni is spendy, as you no doubt noticed. It can be stretched by making a compound butter, as Jim (r Brent) suggests, or used as is in small quantities. A little of it will boost a truffle oil of lesser quality (TJ's was carrying a black and a white of serviceable quality--don't know if they still are--but a little boost made them much better).

Perhaps my favorite use is this simple one: Mixed into eggs with tiny pieces of cold butter in preparation for very slow-cooked scrambled eggs. Great on steaks but also try it with duck breasts, cooked med-rare and fanned over wilted lightly garlicked spinach, perhaps with fingerlings and a woodsy, berried demi/reduction. Superb with seafoods.

I used the truffle oil for a variation of Brent W's White Truffle butter for steaks. Very nice! I noticed, though, that the flavor of the last bit in my bottle had faded. I've been storing it in the refrigerator for safekeeping.

That's a good tip to boost the flavor of a lesser quality, Kevin. I'll check TJ's on my next trip - I looked there for the walnut oil and all I could find was several varieties of olive oil.

I just called TJ - they said that they didn't have it -- yet -- but expect some in, in a couple of months. Said it was a "seasonal item." Huh? Maybe a Christmas holiday item?

Rita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back