Thermapen Calibration

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
Jims post on his purchase of a Thermapen got me to ask this question. I recently did a boiling water test on my Thermapen and the reading was 209-210. Not 212. Is this slight difference enough to warrent a calibration?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug Wade:
What's your elevation? Boiling temp drops to 210 at about a thousand feet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My elevation is only around 150-200 feet above Sea Level.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
Jims post on his purchase of a Thermapen got me to ask this question. I recently did a boiling water test on my Thermapen and the reading was 209-210. Not 212. Is this slight difference enough to warrent a calibration? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not in my mind!

JimT

try it in ice water and stir and see how close to 32* f you get. I dont like to calibrate in boiling water due to variations in temp in your pot.

the nice thing about the thermopen is that it works down that low making this possible.

Back