Thermopen Question

Steve Zeitz

TVWBB Member
I have owned a thermopen for some time now and I am getting very inconsistent readings from this thing. Everyone praises this tool and I have to admit I like it, but many times I get very unusual readings. I have done the boiling water test and it appears to be fine with that. But, when I measure a steak or two at different points, I may get a reading of 130 and 85 in areas not that far apart. I have tried everything that I know including measuring into the side of the meat. It just is so inconsistent that I have ruined some steaks recently. Any suggestions on where I can learn how to use this thing better? Thank you. Steve

Thanks Russell. I appreciate the links and they will help. Part of my issue is that I'm trying to get used to a new grill. I have the Weber 670 and that thing gets hot and cooks totally different than what I'm used to. Appreciate the advice. Steve

The Thermopen is only a very good tool. It can only measure temps where you put the probe.
The fine point tip will give you readings in extreme range as you are experiencing with only slight movements. This is because you are cooking at very high heat and you will have different temps with your steaks. The area near a good sear mark will be higher than 1/4" over at the same depth. If you put a cold steak on a 800 degree grill the outer temp will be very hot and the inner temp could be 40-50 degrees.
Searing a room temp steak will give you better results. Also try a high temp sear (1.5-2 minutes per side) and pull your steak and let it rest for 15-20 minutes while you drop your grill temp to 350-400. Put your steak back on and cook to your taste. Or try a reverse sear. Slow at the start,(get to 115-120 degrees) pull to get your grill very hot and back on for a flash sear. Both of these methods will give you a very even cook in your steak and make temp reading easy.
Time and touch will get you close but different cuts of meat and meat quality play a big roll.
The "Pen" has never failed me. Money well spent.

Back