Dry White Wine for Pork Belly Cure/Brine

Bryan Rice

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All,

I am trying a recipe for curing pork belly that calls for brining it in a brine that includes dry white wine. I have made my own bacon before, but I have only every dry-cured it and I'm not wine expert.

Can someone suggest a good type of white wine that I should purchase for the cure? I don't mind spend a little money on it (I don't want the nastiest wine available) but I don't want to overspend on it either. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

They always say the wine you cook with should be a wine you'd also drink. But no way am I cooking with Cakebread Chardonnay. I think a nice, inexpensive Australian Chardonnay (Jacobs Creek, Alice White), with its fruity, apple/pear flavor profile would work well with bacon.

Many chards don't work well for cooking, imo, because once reduce dduring cooking, the concentrated flavors (especially the oak) don't work well. For this I use an un-oaked sauvignon blanc.

For brines and dressings and other things where the wine won't be reduced I might use a chard. The Aussies Doug notes are very good for pork for the reason given. (I've used them with belly and loin.) I'd go with one of those in this case as well. Chards with heavier flavors--like the tropical fruit, honey and butter of many Santa Barbara and some Monterrey producers--are delicious to drink and can be great if not reduced but the spices/herbs/aromatics need more careful consideration.

Back