One of my favorite dishes

Joey K

TVWBB Member
So my wife and I have this recipe for Sweet Meat Empanadas. The reason I like so much is the depth of flavor, its like a little party going on in your mouth. Anyways it uses cinimon and clove and I really like the combination.

As I've fallen for the BBQ thing on my WSM I've kinda wondered where those two spices belong in the BBQ world, or do they? I haven't seen very many rubs or sauces that include them, do they not hold up under the long cooks or is it something else. I would be greatfull for some info on the subject, thanks!

I use both often, sometimes one or the other, sometimes both, depending on what I am making, what I am making it for, and what the other ingredients are in the rub or sauce.

Here is a comment on cinnamon, here a paste rub for duck (that would work for some other things too). This post is a recipe for a paste rub and a dry rub to be applied over it--for brisket. This rub contains no heat, nor onion or garlic, as requested by Peter, for whom I created it. This sauce is for pulled beef or pork and this rub I devised for beef but it works on the darker pork cuts (like butt) as well. Here is a rib rub I like. And here is a re-working of a rub for someone who'd grown tired of his go-to. This (scroll down) is a recipe for a mole I like. And this is for chili, as is this.

Hope this helps.

Back