Jerky on the WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi, I'm a new owner of the WSM thanks to this site! I wanted to respond to earlier questions on making jerky on the WSM. So far I have made three batches with good results. I usually cook at 200-250 temp for about 3-4 hrs. and use both racks full with jerky meat. The meat is about 3/8 inch thick at the start. I found that the edges can burn faster since the water pan is not covering it. Also it helps to move the jerky around once or twice from top rack to bottom etc. since the top cooks faster and to promote even drying. All in all the WSM holds the temp great for jerky. The texture and flavor is perfect too.

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for the info. I'm curious to know if you add any other preservatives when you cure the meat? From what I understand, cooking at those higher temperatures will affect how long the jerky lasts.

Also, what kind of meat do you use? I have been using London Broil.

Kevin

Chuck M

I been making jerky for 15 years on my smokers. Try these space savers with your meat.....hang them from toothpicks! I always slice mine so they are extra long...usually over 10 inches(then break in half when done!). Remove the bottom grate. If you hang them you can fit about 4-6 pounds in there. I also remove the water pan. It eliminates the hot spots around the edges.

I never ever let my temp above 200!! Too high a heat and they get done too quick and turn out too crispy. Try a lower temp..I shoot for around 180. If I have lots of time I will even go lower, but NOT below 165!! That gets into "cold" smoking.

I use Tender Quick for 2 purposes...saltiness and curing...though don't really know how effective the curing is. Technically, you only need cure if you are "cold" smoking. I do know my jerky lasts a long time and has never gone bad after a couple months.

Anyway, it can be done!! I have mentioned before I have extensive notes/tips/secrets/recipes on jerky making...just email me!!

Stogie

Kev,

I usually use Top Round as my meat of choice. It seems to have less fat to trim. Also, I should note that I am using a Tru-Temp thermometer in the top vent. So I should really see actual meat temps 30 degrees lower at the rack. I do not use any cures other than salt products in recipies. The jerky never lasts long enough to need it. Are there others out there with similar experiences?

I've made quite a bit of beef jerkey with my food dehydrator inside and the pre-packaged spices and cures. Is it worth the effort to try making jerky on the WSM? Just wondering if the taste is noticably different. Thanks.

Hey Matt!

Once you taste the jerky off the WSM, you'll throw the dehydrator away!! You can smoke it if you want or just keep the charcoal flavor, it is so much better than anything you have made.

Here is the link to my jerky making page. At the bottom of the page there is a link to more recipes. I prefer the wet marinade to the dry-rubbed, so all these recipes are for wet. Also, I show you how to triple capacity with toothpicks.
http://members.home.net/ktaylor11/kevi.htm

Post back if you have any other questions.

Stogie

I haven't gotten to jerky......yet!

When I make Char Siu (Cantonese Roast Pork), I hang my meat strips from the oven rack using drapery hooks or unbent paper clips (drapery hooks are better). The meat strips are "hooked" so that the top edge of the meat is at or just above the rack level.

By putting one or two rib racks or the type of vertical roasters that have upper circular inserts (do they make them anymore?) on the WSM top grate, you might be able to cut additional strips and hang them so they'll dangle BETWEEN the rods of the WSM top grate. Not having done jerky before, I don't know if this would crowd the strips and impede the airflow/drying of the strips. I'll leave that technicality to you experts!

I love the toothpick idea for convenience and _especially_ disposability! (I do clean the drapery hooks in the upper basket of the dishwasher).

Anyway, that's my 2 cents' worth, from someone who knows nothing (yet) about jerky but has an engineering-type mind.

Rita

Hey, thanks for the post Stogie. Great info on your website also, I think I'm going to have to try that out. I just got my WSM this week, so my first test is going to be ribs next weekend, as I am going out of town this weekend. But I might just be able to fit the beef jerky in some night during the week, since it's a pretty short cook. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

I have made quite a bit of jerky on a dehydrator too, but it sounds like it's worth giving the WSM a try.

I take it you only use a small amount of charcoal in order to keep the temps down.

How much charcoal do you put in the chamber?

Do you start with all of the charcoal lit or do you use the Minion method?

Thanks for the tips.

Chuck C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back