lobster tails, what to do?

MKEvenson

TVWBB Wizard
I bought the wife surf and turf for tonights valentines dinner. I am embarrassed to say that I have never cooked lobster tails. I was thinking of throwing them on the grill after I take the rib eye off to rest. My neighbor says boil them but... If I can grill it would be more to my liking. I am sure some of you have grilled Lobster tails before, what help can you give?

Mark

Hey Mark,
I've made THIS a couple times for "special" meals and it's fantastic. No reason why you couldn't cook on the grill vs. oven.

Those look delicious Stephan, I may give that recipe a try sometime.

Mark, I have done LT's many times on the grill and wouldn't do them any other way.

A whole large tail is too much for me and the Wife, so I split them. They grill better this way too. Take a boneing shear and cut through the belly bones. Then take a knife and cut through the meat. Then get a butcher knife and hammer and tap through the shell until it's cut clean. Rub with evoo and rub. I use Old Bay. Make a side sauce of butter and fresh garlic with some fresh cracked pepper and you are in.

After they are cooked they will pull right out of the shell with a fork.

New Years Eve Lobster tails

Shaun, I pretty much did the same thing. EVOO, salt pepper marinade both sides. I didn't split the tail until it was plated. OMG, the texture and taste were out of this world. I had only tasted lobster a couple times before and didn't like it. Wow! If a sale comes again I'll go fishin for them tails. Last Wed Safeway had them on add for $5.99 ea. I believe. Also Bone in Rib eye, THICK cut for around $4.69 in value pak. I cooked one steak, both thw wife and I had a generous portion and we have enough for another meal. I think ea steak was over 1.5lbs. More like a small roast. What a Valentines dinner!!!!!!

Mark

We buy lobster tails at Sams all the time and here is how I cook them.
Take a kitchen scissors and cut down the center of the back and take a good sharp knife and with the palm of your hand a couple hits down so that it's only butterflied not all the way through.
Then I grill them meat down on high heat on the Performer until you get a nice grilled crust, flip and have shell down on high heat and then baste with garlic, butter and lemon juice that I do up ahead of time in a sauce pan.
Serve with melted butter at the table.

not tried it, never heard of it ... just thinking why not heavily inject lobster with herbed/seasoned butter?

Glad it turned out well Mark! I forgot, I use mesquite or manzanita for smoke. It's very citrusy and in my opinion goes very well with seafood. I agree with the Mexicans. They smoke everything with it since in abundance there.

Back