Going Green

I just didn't know what to make today. I got a beautiful sunny day with the temperature hovering around 45 degrees. No snow on the ground. Up here in northern Michigan all of that is unheard of in February.

Saw a recipe for Chili Verde from this website Dad Cook's Dinner and I was planning to do it someday until I went to my local butcher and found this. At 99 cents a pound how can you go wrong?

DSCN0277.jpg

Got all the rest of the ingredients ready for some green chili. I couldn't find all the ingredients so I just improvised.

DSCN0278.jpg

Time to roast the greens.

DSCN0282.jpg

Toss everything into the food processor and after a few seconds I have the base that I put aside while I started cooking the meat. Seasoned and smoked with hickory.
DSCN0285.jpg
DSCN0286.jpg
DSCN0280.jpg
DSCN0288.jpg

I took it off the grill and diced it into bite size pieces, then put it back on the grill in a dutch oven.
DSCN0290.jpg
DSCN0295.jpg

After it was cooked I added the green, then brought it inside and added some chicken broth. Let it simmer on the stove while I cooked some Jalapeno cornbread in a CIS and it came out perfect if I don't say so myself.

DSCN0298.jpg
DSCN0294.jpg
DSCN0302.jpg

A little cheese & sour cream

Here's Your Plate.....

DSCN0306.jpg

Aw Bill, you should have waited for a cold snap to make that
icon_razz.gif

I'll swear my eyes could taste your Chili Verde and cornbread, and it was great!

Very nice cook and pics!

Bill... w0w!
PHANTASTIC FOTOGHAFS!
PERFECT PREPERATION!!
and a
DELICIOUS DINNER!!!

¸,ø¤º°`°º¤?øøø•• O•U•T•S•T•A?•N•D•I•N•G ••øøø¤º°`°?º¤ø,¸

99 cents a pound never looked so good!

I am a cornbread connoisseur. That one looks OUTSTANDING!

Great cook.

Ever since i saw Don Cash made this i know that i had to try it out. But i cant find any tomatillo´s. Last summer we even looked for seeds to grow our own...But NO one had em.

Amazing post Bill! Bet it was FANTASTIC!

Bill;
I thoroughly enjoyed this presentation.

The only thing better was if I had a bowl in front of me.

The corn bread looks fantastic. I am definitely a corn bread kind of guy (all of my people came from Appalachia).

A number of years ago, I was flyfishing in Cherokee (Smoky Mountains) with an Indian guide. We had a trout lunch along the creek. The guide cooked corn bread just like I grew up with (my family apparently got the recipe from the Cherokee Indians generations ago).

At any rate, it was about as good as it gets. Your presentation reminded me of that trip.

Dale53

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ever since i saw Don Cash made this i know that i had to try it out. But i cant find any tomatillo´s. Last summer we even looked for seeds to grow our own...But NO one had em. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Daniel, I wish there was a substitute for tomatillo, but I can't think of one. I suppose unripened green tomatoes (make sure you cook them) would be closest. The tomatillo is related to the cape gooseberry, a S. American fruit. I thought Thai eggplant might be similar enough, but no go:
Thai_eggplants.jpg

Back