Australian BBQ Sauce

Phil Hartcher

TVWBB All-Star
Chilli & Mango BBQ Sauce with McGuigan Bin 4000 Cabernet

I recommend this recipe to anyone who wants to make a good Barbecue truly outstanding.

This BBQ Sauce is an adaptation of an adaptation of an adaptation of a BBQ sauce that does not taste or resemble anything like the original. Many BBQ experts claim their sauce to be the best in the world this is no exception.
The secret to this sauce and its taste is in the preparation. It requires a minimum of 2 people to make it, you will find that it is well worth the work – no one has ever complained or been disappointed.

Ingredients
1 to 2 bottles McGuigan Bin 4000 Cabernet per person as required
1 garlic bulb
1 cup rice vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons cloves ground
1 teaspoon allspice ground
2 tablespoons coriander ground
1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup Golden Syrup (Molasses)
350 grams Chopped mango flesh
2 cups chilli puree (recipe below)
3 cups tomato sauce
1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Sea salt to taste (about 1 teaspoon)

Instructions

Open wine and stand at 18 - 20° C for 15 minutes
Pour each person a glass of McGuigan Bin 400 Cabernet and test for colour, bouquet and taste. Toast to the success of the sauce.
Roast garlic in a cast iron frypan for 45 minutes (or in oven for about the same time). Let cool, peel and mash into a paste. Refill wine glasses and drink as required.
In saucepan bring vinegars and spices to a boil. Reduce by half over medium heat, strain and set aside. Refill wine glasses and drink as required.
In large frypan heat oil, sauté onion and garlic until lightly browned. Add brown sugar and golden syrup. Stir. Slowly add vinegar mixture. Reduce slightly, and then stir in mango flesh, chilli puree, tomato sauce and Worcestershire. Simmer slowly for 1 hour. Season with salt. Refill wine glasses and drink as required. Strain through sieve.
Finish remaining wine.
Let the sauce cool and pour a little sauce into a bowl. Dip finger in sauce and test for taste. – It tastes a lot better off the finger than it ever does off a spoon.
If the sauce tastes good, open another Bottle of McGuigan Bin 4000 and toast the success.
Finish off bottle and prepare meat for cooking.

Chilli Puree (Makes about 3 cups.)

1 Glass McGuigan Bin 4000 Cabernet
12 Red Serrano chillies, stems and seeds removed. (Other types may be substituted.)
2 cups Hot water

Instructions

Dry roast cleaned chillies in a cast iron frypan for 3-4 minutes, shaking occasionally -- do not allow them to blacken. Place in a bowl and cover with hot water. Cover & leave for 20 minutes.
Transfer chillies to blender; add 1 cup of the liquid. Puree into a fine paste, adding more liquid if necessary.
Drink the glass of McGuigan Bin 4000 Cabernet.

#1 I love Aussie wine.
#2 I love mango.
#3 I have not used chillies as much as I should.

Great stuff I'll have to try. I do believe that if it took two bottles of cab to make this then there would have to be at least a second cook to finish the recipe...

Id use 1 and 1/10th bottle and save the rest for the cook...have a little fun that way.

icon_biggrin.gif

Nice Recipe. I was down under last year visiting the folks. The locals loved Leg of Lamb cooked low and slow with my rub on my folks new Weber Platinum Kettle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1/4 cup Golden Syrup (Molasses) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I grew up in England and Golden Syrup is nothing like Molasses. With all the English food stores in the US and if you are near Canada get the real thing. I'd sub a mild honey before I sub Molasses.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Konrad Haskins:
I grew up in England and Golden Syrup is nothing like Molasses. With all the English food stores in the US and if you are near Canada get the real thing. I'd sub a mild honey before I sub Molasses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the golden syrup brand available in the US is Lyle's. I would substitute light corn syrup if it is not available.

Back