3 tablespoons coarse salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons cayenne

1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 tablesoon mustard powder

Wild Willys #1 Rub is the first 8 ingredients.
I cut the salt by 1 T and added the last 3 ingredients. All coarse ingredients were ground to a powder with a coffee mill.

Jim, I use it on everything.
Most rubs I make, seem to be flexible for my palate. It has been a while since I have made a beef specific rub.
Do you have favorites for specific meats you would care to share?

I'd be tempted to throw a little white pepper in there. Just opinion.
icon_cool.gif

Steve
Here is one I like for Beef

1/2 cup Sugar
1/8 cup Garlic salt
1/8 cup Onion salt
1/8 cup Celery salt
1/8 cup Seasoned salt
1/4 cup Black Pepper
1/4 cup Paprika
1/4 cup New Mexican Chili Pepper
1 tsp Dry mustard
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Cayenne

I specificly use new Mexican Chili Pepper because of it's flavor. This rub does have some heat, a sweet sauce will offset heat for those that can't take it straight.

Jim

Steve--

Try some ground New Mexico chilies as Jim suggests, replacing some of the paprika. It will add heat and has more chile flavor than paprika. If you wish, you could replace the chili powder as well, subbing either 5 t of New Mex, Ancho, or Guajillo (or a blend) plus 1 t cumin.

I like the thyme inclusion. For beef especially (though it works for other meats too) consider an addition of a t of marjoram. Imo, the herbs and the celery seed act as kind of taste separators. In addition to supplying their own flavors they offer imaginary taste 'lines' above and below which the flavors of the other spices register (if that makes any sense); they help to create an end result of a layered flavor profile.

I don't care for Wild Willies #1 wonderfull rub because of all the paprika in it. I hate that sandy/gritty mouthfeel it has.
icon_eek.gif

Bryan, you have had me thinking...paprika seems to usually just be a bulk 'carrier'.
You are probably on the right track with your comments.

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Bryan, you have had me thinking...paprika seems to usually just be a bulk 'carrier'.
You are probably on the right track with your comments.
Not sure if you ever had any of the Texas BBQ rubs but if they have paprika (i'm syre they do) in them it's minimal. I used to make the Wild Willy rub and do a 50/50 mix with Head Country Rub to tone down the paprika. Now i just use the Texas and the Head Country rubs straight up. Those are my 3 (Texas #1 & #2 and HC) favorite rubs, and that's all i use anymore.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bryan,
Sounds like you really like the TX BBQ rub. I was thinking of getting some, but was kind of suspicious of how good it is after I saw their website. All of it's claims about what incredible things it will do for your meats made me wonder if it's a bunch of hype or not. Guess I just need to try it, but rather not get 2 lbs. of rub and not be very good.

Originally posted by Erich K:
Bryan,
Sounds like you really like the TX BBQ rub. I was thinking of getting some, but was kind of suspicious of how good it is after I saw their website. All of it's claims about what incredible things it will do for your meats made me wonder if it's a bunch of hype or not. Guess I just need to try it, but rather not get 2 lbs. of rub and not be very good.
Erich, It's really, really good. Don't take my word for it do a search here and read all the rave reviews about it. They have 2 rubs. Their original #1 and a Brisket Blend #2 which has some heat to it. The #2 is not listed on the site but if you want that one just order the #1 and in the comments box just tell Bill you would like to have the Brisket Blend #2 rub.I buy both of them, and IMO they are AWSOME.
icon_wink.gif

I'll second the Texas BBQ Rubs, have been using them for about a year now. Between them and Head Country you can't go wrong if you're buying rubs.

Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Steve
Here is one I like for Beef

1/2 cup Sugar
1/8 cup Garlic salt
1/8 cup Onion salt
1/8 cup Celery salt
1/8 cup Seasoned salt
1/4 cup Black Pepper
1/4 cup Paprika
1/4 cup New Mexican Chili Pepper
1 tsp Dry mustard
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Cayenne

I specificly use new Mexican Chili Pepper because of it's flavor. This rub does have some heat, a sweet sauce will offset heat for those that can't take it straight.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Looks good and my wife wants to try it but she feels it might be too salty. Any suggestions? Can we reduce the salt?

Thanks,

greg

Back