Ordering Stoker - What do I need?

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I'm on-line getting ready to place my order for the Stoker and I'm a little confused about what I need to order for my WSM. I'm ordering the Basic System Plus. Is this all I need? I did notice that there is an adapter section, do I need to order that separate from the Basic System Plus? Anything I'm leaving out? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I swung by Ed C's today while he was mid-smoke with his new DigiQII, pretty cool little units. I'm looking forward to getting mine.

In the very wise words of Mr. Burns, Excellent! Thanks, looking forward to trying this new toy out.

I recommend getting the package which comes with two extra probes. They come in handy for cooking multiple items but also, if you damage one, you have spares to continue cooking!

I would also recommend the sensor grommets, or the eyelets from BBQ Guru. I have two of the grommets from Rock's, and 2 of the eyelets from BBQ Guru. I think I like the eyelets a little better, but both work fine. Definitely the way to run your probes into the WSM.

So, Larry.
Did you pull the trigger on this purchase?

Here is my rib cook from yesterday using Amir's Stokerlog. I love my stoker
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Check it out!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Hunter:
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Check it out!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy, you are making great use of the program features to tag things. And that is one stable fire!

Making me feel guity that I have not made it easier to move the labels so that they don't overlap
icon_smile.gif

I've got my order loaded in their yahoo shopping cart, just need to press the button. Will probably pull the trigger tonight or tomorrow. Just want to make sure I'm going to use it enough to justify it, which I think I will.

Thanks for posting your cook log, it's that kind of thing I'm looking forward to working with. And I agree with Amir, that's one stable fire!

OK, since the tag idea was originally my idea (pats self on back), maybe instead of putting the actual tag there, just do a sequential numbering 1,2,3, etc, then have a table outside of the graph that indicates what 1,2,3, is?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Hunter:
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Check it out!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy, you are making great use of the program features to tag things. And that is one stable fire!

Making me feel guity that I have not made it easier to move the labels so that they don't overlap
icon_smile.gif
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd D.:
OK, since the tag idea was originally my idea (pats self on back), maybe instead of putting the actual tag there, just do a sequential numbering 1,2,3, etc, then have a table outside of the graph that indicates what 1,2,3, is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey, no claiming credit now. Anything you suggest becomes my property as soon as I hear it
icon_biggrin.gif

That sounds like a nice suggestion. Do you want it on the graph? If so, I have to see how easy it is to put it in that control.

Amir

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd D.:
OK, since the tag idea was originally my idea (pats self on back), maybe instead of putting the actual tag there, just do a sequential numbering 1,2,3, etc, then have a table outside of the graph that indicates what 1,2,3, is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This would be a really nice feature; pulling the annotations off the graph , replacing them with numbers and then indexing them in a side table next to the graph.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:
And that is one stable fire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All my cooks are that stable, I spent a lot of time shaping the door so that there is almost no leak from it at all. I am also using the clay pot base set inside the water pan. The only problem I have is when I am running a high temp cook 350° - 375° I have to stick a wedge in the lid, otherwise I can't get enough air to move through the WSM to get the heat I need.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Just want to make sure I'm going to use it enough to justify it, which I think I will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pull the trigger Larry, you won't regret it.

BTW those ribs were the best ribs I have ever eaten in my life, let alone ever cooked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
I've got my order loaded in their yahoo shopping cart, just need to press the button. Will probably pull the trigger tonight or tomorrow. Just want to make sure I'm going to use it enough to justify it, which I think I will.

Thanks for posting your cook log, it's that kind of thing I'm looking forward to working with. And I agree with Amir, that's one stable fire! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will find that you will be smoking and cooking a lot more after you get the Stoker.
I know I have.
I can now get a good nights sleep with virtually no worries, and with the stoker log you can occupy your time by watching your cook progress. Sometimes it doesn't take much to keep me occupied.
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">you will be smoking and cooking a lot more after you get the Stoker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're right; I home office and think I'd do a few week day smokes if I had Stoker and could monitor/control from my desktop during the day.

Ok Larry, now that you've talked yourself into it, pull the trigger. You can't put a price taq on things that make you happy. You really enjoy your BBQing and smoking, so what the hell; go for it. Nothing could be better than having full control over your cook while you're working at the same time.

Thanks to everyone for their advice it was very helpful. Just placed my order for a Stoker
icon_biggrin.gif

UPS man just showed up with my new Stoker, wow that was fast! I ordered on Wednesday evening and it was delivered Friday afternoon. Now I have to smoke something . . . I'm thinking about doing some ribs (spares). Thanks again for all the input, I think I'm going to be very happy with the unit.

Back