SS Bowls

Marc

TVWBB All-Star
So I'm in serious need of a few mixing bowls for various applications. What I'm seeking is a fairly heavy stainless steel bowl with a rim or preferably with ears. Don't want an outside (plastic) liner like the Oxo's. Please... suggestions? The ones at the local restaurant supply are a bit better then a couple layers of foil!

Marc, maybe try Williams Sonoma (could be pricey, but good quality) or Chefs catalog online. I have stainless steel, but actually prefer my glass ones. Personally, I feel when mixing different sauces etc, there is no reaction with the glass as opposed to metal I.e. Mixing a sauce that is tomato based. Above all never mix a tomato based sauce and store it in a metal container with aluminum foil...very bad reaction occurs and awful tasting. Just my opinion and preference...

I got my set at Costco. Good quality, great price. They're a few years old so who knows if you can get something similar these days. You know how stuff at Costco is, here today, gone tomorrow...

Regina, thanks. Love the glass bowls for certain applications but need the thermal response of SS in so many things. ie/ double boiler or keeping ground meat cold for sausage.

Gotcha Marc! You may also want to try Bed,Bath and Beyond, don't forget to take the coupons for a discount.
icon_wink.gif
Also webstaurant.com has good 18/8 gage heavy duty stainless steel bowls, with good reviews.

I have probably 25 SS bowls. My initial set of 5 nesting bowls came from the Lynchburg Company more than 30 years ago. When I started my personal chef business, I bought some others to take with me to the client's house. My husband's mother had a set of three flat bottomed bowls with rings on the side (which are handy) so I have those as well. Now, everything I had for my chef business is home with me now, and many are duplicates, but they have lasted me for years. Got the newer ones at the restaurant supply. When I bought my Cuisinart hand mixer, a Kitchenaid bowl came with it, and that by far is my go to bowl for just about everything. I even use one of my MIL's flat bottomed ones for my salad bowl.

Back