Whole venison leg

JSMcdowell

TVWBB All-Star
I remembered asking about this awhile back, but can't seem to find the thread.

I have a frozen whole leg of venison and I am looking for ideas on what to do with.

Not really opposed to anything, just wanting a few different ideas to think about.

Thanks!

You don't want to mess with that...send it to me for quick disposal
icon_biggrin.gif

About 12 years ago I was given a venison leg (well, actually the thigh) & I smoked it.

I don't remember details of the cook at all....seems I did a little research on the 'net first though, but I do remember having friends over and it turned out WONDERFUL....

I'm sure somebody on here can post a recipe.
That was the only time I did venison on the smoker, but I've often thought of it since...it was outstanding.

I would lean towards braising it in some sort of large pan / Dutch oven in wine or some other suitable liquid. Brown it on the outside, then simmer it for several hours in the liquid with other stuff (onions, a little garlic, maybe some thyme - this could help to tame-down / mask any "gamey" taste that could occur).

Couple of questions:
-What kind of deer was it? (Southern white tails run small, Mule Deer run big.)
-Where was it bagged? (Corn fed, swamp, prairie, or forrest? - Corn fed would be most fatty probably best.)

Venison can be very tasty when cooked properly. However, it also tends to be REALLY lean, and can end-up like shoe leather if you're not careful.

You could search for recipes for "Leg of Mutton" - my guess is that by size and quality of meat, it would probably be about the same.

Not perfect, but a starting point

Ron, no clue what kind. It was given to my BIL from his friend, and my BIL didn't have space in his freezer. I would assume forrest.

Here is a pic. It was double bagged so I hadn't really seen it until today.

IMAG0214.jpg

I see nothing to guage the size of it.

It DOES look like it was butchered and cleaned nicely. It looks pretty lean, and will have lots of connective tissue in the thinner, lower part.

I would probably pursue one of two options:

#1 - If you have a roaster pan that will accommodate it whole, or if it is cut into two pieces, do a search on google for "Leg of Venison" read thru the results until you find one that tickles your fancy. I would stick to recipes for "wild" venison (farm-raised will usually be more fatty and tender, but that's not what you have...)

#2. Carve the meat off of it in as big of chunks as you can, cube it into stew-size big bites, then brown the cubes and make a stew or something similar in a slow-cooker.

Since you cannot tell how long the meat "hung" before it was butchered / frozen - I would plan for it to have a bit of "gamey" taste. In this case, I would cook it with herbs, stock, and veggies with a pretty bold taste - which could mask some of the gamey character in case it's there.

Roll the dice and try something - don't be afraid. I'll bet it turns out dee-lish!

It's a front shoulder, my rec is to thaw , cut meat from bone,Or remove the leg below the joint , easy to cut tendons & remove, brine ( helps with wild taste) brais & make gravy.

Thank you everyone. I think I am going to hold off a couple weeks and then do a stew. I have just made huge batches of brunswick stew and chicken noodler soup, so my freezer is full. My favorite thing about soups & stews are stocking up the freezer.

The cookout this weekend also turned more BBQ themed. I am already doing Pork & Ribs, and chicken may get added.

I like jbiesingers idea. Cured and dried venison is delicious, but it can be a bit dry.
On the other hand it is full of taste, so sliced super thin, it is very delicious.

Back