Asian paste? what is it

Status
Not open for further replies.

K McCarthy

TVWBB Fan
I recently got the "ribstars" cookbook and a few recipes call for Asian Paste. I've never heard of it and didn't find it in the local grocery. Do you buy it made? or do you mix it up yourself?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kev

The term seems to applicable to several things, from wasabi, to a hot chile sauce, to a fermented shrimp and salt cake. Maybe Rita Y can help.

I have the same book I believe. Chef McPeake's Book from Kansas City?

Asian chile paste (p. 45) refers to a general term covering many different chile sauces, variously labeled as chile paste, chile sauce, and chile paste with garlic. Best brand is Rooster Brand Delicious Hot Chile <garlic> Sauce. I believe they make one also without the garlic in it which is what I just ran out of. On page 79, the Asian Chili Garlic Paste would refer to the same with the garlic in it. You can find it sometimes in most grocery stores, generally they would carry Lee Kum Kee brand, or Dynasty Brand. Best to get this at your local Asian grocery store.

On edit: I do believe that the 'asian paste' is probably an error due to proofreading. There are a few in the book. Another thing I noticed when I went thru it, instructions for how to place your meat, fat up or down, or distinguishing different smokers is not talked about. His recipes though, are fabulous.

I too am slightly amiss when it comes to knowing and understanding Asian pastes. Seems they can be used for everything from a boullion-like soup base to a flavor additive. The pastes themselves seem to be made from similar ingredients but in different proportions depending on what flavor the manufacturer is aiming for.

On semi-irregular occaisions I have visited a couple of Korean markets in which the shelves have a wide assortment of different pastes.

My recommendation: Search for a paste named exactly like the paste in the recipe. It is understandable that you don't have confidence in the recipe authors nomenclature. If you can't find exactly the paste stated in the recipe (you probably won't), then start reading the ingredients listed on the label paying attention to the order in which the ingredients are listed (loosely indicating ingredient quantity/ratio)and try to find one that seems to suit you or the recipe.

For what it's worth, most Korean markets that I have visited also carry Japanese items.

In the recipe for Cherry Rib Mop on page 81, the ingredients list calls for Asian Paste. At the bottom of the recipe, there is a note saying you can adjust the heat level by increasing or decreasing the 'chili paste'. I would take that to mean that anything listed as Asian paste is the same as chili paste.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I do believe that the 'asian paste' is probably an error due to proofreading. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd agree. There is no culinary term 'Asian paste' with any sort agreed upon definition. From wasabi to chili to miso to curry (and ginger, black bean, shrimp, plum) it can mean anything and should have been redacted by the proofreader.

Thanks for the feedback.

The "cherry Rib Mop" is exctly what i wanted to make. (i didn't notice he "heat" note at the bottom, though)

So, I would assume i should look for some sort of Chile based paste. What could I substitute if I can't find it? Could I combine chile powder and something else (oil, vinegar?) to form my own paste? or would straight chile powder work?

Thanks again for the responses

Kev

K: You live in Boston, I know you can find it there at an Asian Market. Write down the brand I listed above, it has a rooster on the container. I think my last jar of this variety was called sambal oleck. It really is readily available, especially where you live.

This paste is made from red chile peppers, probably an asian variety, but fresh. Not the same animal as a chile powder at all.

If you make this, please post about how it is. I haven't done any recipes from this book yet, but was planning on it.

Thanks Jane.
I'll look for the brands you recommended.

I'll definately post my results when I make it. (it may be week or so, though)

I appreciate the help
Kev

Sambal Oelek chile paste with the rooster logo is the Huy Fong Foods brand, often found in international markets here and elsewhere, along with their Sriracha Hot Chile Sauce. Both are staple table condiments at all Vietnamese restaurants.

well, i found the paste and finally made the ribs. I can't believe it took me this long.

Jane, I used the brand you recommended. The ribs were outsatnding. A great contrast of sweet and spicey.
A couple of modifications to the recipe, i didn't marinade the ribs (b/c of lack of time) and substituted straight cherry juice for a cherry/grape/apple combo. I would definatley marinade the next time just to see the difference. I had no fruit wood so i used pecan, worked great.

Thanks for everyones help.
Kev

I don't recall the recipe name, it was something along the line of "sweeet and spicy" cherry ribs.
I made the rub they suggested (ribstars "best" rib rub, i think) and the cherry mop. For the rub I substituted light brown sugar for the "superfine" sugar that it called for.

Kev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back