Apple/Maple Syrup Brine

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
Here's another one that I just tracked down in my files.

1 cup Diamond kosher salt (OR 3/4 cup Morton K-salt or 1/2 cup non-iodized table salt)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 quarts apple juice (or cider)
2 quarts water

Mix the brine well, and chill it - you want it ice cold when the turkey goes in it. Soak the turkey in the brine for at least 16 hours in a non metal container covered in the fridge.

ssubmitted by Keri C

Hey Bruce,
Thanks for finding this one. Going to do a 22-24 pounder next weekend from a turkey farm in Livonia. Been thinking about brining, will be a first for me. I think I will need to use the kettle instead of the WSM, probably too large for the WSM.

Also glad to see there is a WSM fan so close.

With the same name too, what a coincidence. If you use this brine let me know how it turns out, if it's good I might bring it out for Turkey Day.

Has anyone used this for pork loin? Thinking about trying it out, but dont want to over do the salt.flavor penetration.

Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Has anyone used this for pork loin? Thinking about trying it out, but dont want to over do the salt.flavor penetration.
Tom, IMO that would work very well with a pork loin. About 18-24 hrs. in the brine would be a good place to start with a loin. Prob could take way more than that, given the thickness of a loin veres a Turkey. HTH

Over a year later, and I'm just now going to try this recipe on Sunday. It's been too long since I've been posting here. Gotta get back in to it!

Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Over a year later, and I'm just now going to try this recipe on Sunday. It's been too long since I've been posting here. Gotta get back in to it!
Good seeing ya Bud! Whatcha cooking, bird or an oink?

Going to fire up a pork tenderloin. Been meaning to try this one out, but for the longest time, doing no carbs at all, really streamlined all my menu choices. Now I live on fruits, veggies and lean meat, so it's all good!

I think I'll be safe splitting the quantities in half for this recipe, I'm only going to be doing two tenderloins in a zip top bag, not a whole turkey. I'd hate to waste a bunch of pure maple syrup and AJ.

you will like this one chip. I have used it many times on the bird, I have even added a little jack daniels in for a touch of flavor.
ooh wait a minute, maybe that was just in me
icon_biggrin.gif

Tom,

How'd it turn out?

I just de-virginized my WSM with spare ribs last week and I'm looking to do a tenderloin now.

Back