Media-blasting a Weber?

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
A few months ago I acquired a very grungy, gunked-up WSM (Clark/Harbormaster has seen it and will back me up). I'd like to have my dad media-blast (sandblast) the inside to clean it up but obviously don't want to damage the finish.

Anyone ever done this before? What blasting media did you use?

I'd like to have him blast a Bar-B-Kettle as well.

Thanks!

Brad

Using a water blaster (hi pressure water) would probably prove much less abrasive to Weber's porcelain finish.

You and my dad think the same.

His blasting setup is sand only, so he suggested using a power washer instead. And as a bonus the washer can be used on the outside as well.

Thanks!

Brad

How about running each section through a self-cleaning oven cycle (remove the handle)? This works on cast iron skillets.

On second thought, it may be a bad idea. The aluminum vents may not be able to take the heat of self-cleaning oven temperatures.

Seems like it would be risky sandblasting. I'd be concerned about damaging the porcelain finish. That finish is critical to the life of the WSM. "Greased Lightning" is a cleaner I use...it's similar in action to oven cleaner, and it doesn't cost much. I'd be inclined to take the unit to the car wash, spray it liberally with Greased Lightning, maybe scrub some with one of those scouring pads attached to a handle, then blast with water. Then repeat if necessary. That way you would not damage the porcelain finish.

Bead or sand blasting will ruin the finish! I bead blasted some Weber handles to get some rust off some areas around the spot welds and what porcelan finish that did not blast off was dulled. I was not to concerned since I was using them for drum smokers and they were painted over, but even though you want to do the inside you would be better off taking Phil and Al's suggestions.

Hey Brad. Yep, that WSM is grungy. I did get mine to clean up real well however.
First, don't media blast it. You will not only damage the porcelain, but will also likely warp the metal.
When I cleaned mine up (same condition as yours) I used a "5 in 1" painters tool and just scraped the build-up off the inside of the center section. I did not worry about getting it all that clean. I took the grate brackets off and placed them in a fire in my kettle. Burned the gunk right off. Did the same to the grates and water pan.
I used rubbing compound to clean up all of the crap on the outside, but I think if I was to do it again I would try some spray on oven cleaner to get that really cooked on stuff off, being careful not to get it on the aluminum (just because aluminum reacts with some chemicals).
Good luck Brad. It will clean up. And if it's anything like mine, you may want to order a set of replacement vents, because mine are bent up pretty bad.

Read your subject title and I thought someone in the press was bad-mouthing Weber products. Doh!

Shoulda known that could never happen.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back