ATC

Joe S.

TVWBB Super Fan
Finally, maybe ordering a stoker this weekend but one question.I thought about going with digi not sure which unit is better in colder weather.I read on another forum that the stoker is not good in cold weather.Just wanted some thoughts.Should I let weather be a deciding factor in which unit I get or is there no difference.

Thanks

Thanks

The cold weather issue was fixed long time ago. I think it was a problem when the unit first came out.

I have used it with a heap of snow outside and it worked like a charm all night as have others.

Even if it were an issue, you could just put it a bit closer to your smoker and that will keep it warm enough.

Also, given the smart probes it has, you could buy cheap extensions from radio shack and put the unit inside.

Both units have problems in colder weather. I own a stoker and a competitor. It really depends on how you are monitoring it. Both units will give you the temp reading on the user interface. The Guru IU is easier to understand on the unit than the Stoker but the stoker when properly configured with internet access and stokerLog will give you the world!

Just remember that we are here to help you in either way. I promote the Stoker because it is superior but takes some time to actually know it. If you get a stoker and post to this board you will get a faster response to your questions then if you posted to the Guru or Stoker website.

-rob

Thanks guys.Placed my order today , hopefuly it will ship out and I will have by the end of next week.

If I don't have a router can I hook the stoker to my laptop and use my sprint card internet connection to use the stokerlog until I get router for desktop PC.

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe S.:
If I don't have a router can I hook the stoker to my laptop and use my sprint card internet connection to use the stokerlog until I get router for desktop PC.

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stokerlog doesn't require having access to the Internet to use it (you'll need Internet access to download the application the first time). You can hardwire the Stoker to your laptop and use Stokerlog -- with no Internet access.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe S.:
Finally, maybe ordering a stoker this weekend but one question.I thought about going with digi not sure which unit is better in colder weather.I read on another forum that the stoker is not good in cold weather.Just wanted some thoughts.Should I let weather be a deciding factor in which unit I get or is there no difference.

Thanks

I have a Stoker and it's never had a problem in cold weather. I have more connection issue with my wireless router in cold weather -- but the Stoker stays running and I've used it when the temp outside was down to 9 degrees.

I solved the cold temp issues with the wireless router by putting the router and the Stoker units into a plastic box and putting an electric heating pad under the electronics.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Story:

Stokerlog doesn't require having access to the Internet to use it (you'll need Internet access to download the application the first time). You can hardwire the Stoker to your laptop and use Stokerlog -- with no Internet access. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for input guys.I'm not network savy as you can tell.So if I hard wire the stoker to my laptop and use stokerlog I just wont be able to check it anywhere unless I have a router ,correct.

Thanks all.

Back