Should've bought a Polder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe C

TVWBB Member
Being the local stores did'nt carry Polders when I started and I was too impatient to order online I bought a Pyrex digital thermometer along with a dial therm. Well I put the brisket on this weekend and the Pyrex digital died. Got all kinds of goofy readings. Only the fourth use. Brisket came out great regardless just using the dial lid thermometer but would have been nice to have that digital. And I paid over $20 for the dumb thing. Live and learn. Polder on order.

I have been using a Polder for over a year with oven stuff (eye of the round to 135 is the best thing since sliced bread) - I am certain it will work in my WSM as soon as the weather breaks here in NJ. I purchased direct and my advice to anyone it get a few extra probes - it could be your probe was just bad as they do not last forever.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Good morning Joe?
My reply is probably a little late to save you much money but?.I went through the same exercise that you and NJ Steve have been or are going through trying to determine the best thermometer. Using mainly the expert advice from fellow WSMers at this web site and with a little internet research to boot, I choose, purchased and am using the Maverick Remote with great success. Using the 'under-the-lid' method, I get fairly reliable and consistent readings using two probes (one for the meat and one for grill temp). This device is a bit pricey but you really do get what you pay for and with this horrible winter weather back (48 degrees), I can remotely check both my temps from the comfort of my foyer! Good luck!
?..John

Hi Joe,
I have 3 of the pyrex thermometers and they have all worked fine for many hours. You must have gotten a lemon. One of mine went nuts when I put it in water once but I put it in the oven (metal probe only) and it came back to life.

John

Hi Joe:

I'm not positive, but I believe the Pyrex thermometers are made by Accurite, the same company that makes our Weber Brand digital thermometers. If so, there was a bad batch of these last year that went bad right out of the box. Customers kept telling us that the display locked-up on "High" and stayed there. Of course, some of these folks had fried the probe (it can't get heated over 392 degrees F).

Anyway, I'd recommend bringing it back to the store you bought it from and asking for another. I've had mine for 6 months now without a problem.

Good grillin',

Weber Dave

Thanks for the info guys. I'll see if I can get a repalcement for my bad one.
To John Lancaster: How much did you pay for that remote? This intrigues me. Can't have too many gadgets you know lol.

Good morning Joe?
If my memory serves me well, I think I paid somewhere between $79-$89. If you will use the URL following, you'll be taken to a really good discussion concerning this type thermometer and the one that convinced me to go that way. http://tvwbb.101inc.com/tvwbubb/Forum1/HTML/000008.html .
I can't remember where I bought it but I know that Amazon.com did at one time advertise them as do many of the kitchen supply houses available on the web.
?.John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back