January Angus Brisket for MJ

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
My daughter MJ, former vegetarian/pescatarian will now occasionally eat meat, preferably organic/farm-raised whenever possible. She has requested Q from me during her home visit from college at U of Minnesota in Minneapolis.
Not farm-raised, but a good certified Angus brisket fit the bill. Used a salt- and sugar-free homemade rub of coriander, cumin, white and black pepper, cascabel and ancho chili, thyme, oregano, granulated garlic and onion, coffee bean. The brisket was trimmed, kosher-salted, then added the rub. Started at 8 PM last night, smoking with cherry and hickory. Held temps overnight at 220F or so until 6AM this morning. Added a few chunks of Royal oak and stirred the ashes. Total smoke time 18 hr. Kicked the temps up to 240-260 during the last 2 hr to finish. Since the smoke can mask rub flavors, I sprinkle with more of the salt-free rub a few hours before finishing, and another light dusting when I took it off the WSM.
Also for dinner, oven roasted brussel sprouts with evoo, salt, pepper, dash of chili flakes, and a splash of balsamic to finish. The last butternut squash from our garden was oven roasted with evoo, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, s&p. Also, baked black beans and Cat Cora’s Southern cornbread, although I do add a tablespoon of sugar to my cornbread (thereby officially making it Yankee cornbread).

Enjoy and thanks for visiting. MJ sends her best regards too.

IMG_2533.jpg

IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2535.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2537.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

That brisket and everything served with it look incredible. Did you eat the point, or save it for another meal?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did you eat the point, or save it for another meal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's there, cubed. Homemade BBQ sauce, optional.

How about a few days notice for us next time you make this? It's a long drive from Arizona to New Jersey, but it would be worth the trip!

Simply Amazing looking brisket, if you get a chance try some angus fajitas, angus fajitas are so delish.

Gary, that brisket sitting on the grill, looks pretty awesome. How long into the cook was the photo taken? I'm assuming, due to day light it had to be 10 hrs into the cook. The level of caramelization, without sugar in your rub, is mighty impressive. And somehow, you managed to avoid the "bark dead zone" that I get every time I cook an 16-18 lb CAB, and juice pools in the depression in the center of the flat. I need to got to school on your brisket!

Thanks to all for the kind comments.
Jeff, yes, the brisket pic was taken about 9-10 hrs into the smoke, just before I turned it over. I don't do anything special with my brisket. I do love a good bark, so I don't foil unless I'm really strapped for time. The initial smoke did start off fairly hot for me, 230-240F for the first couple hours (had a little trouble stabilizing the temps. I tend to get too hot too soon, then choke things back). Maybe this helped to set the beginnings of the bark. Anyway, glad you appreciated the effort. - G

Excellent work! That brisket looks awesome. But so does everything else. I like the sounds of that rub.

That is one of the best looking briskets Ive seen in a long time Gary!, With burnt ends also! that's very nicely done. I have a 14lb CAB brisket in the freezer that your post just gave me inspiration to get out.

Back