Too Many Shallots - Best way to store them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Shallots frequently dry out before I use them up. What is the best way to store them? Can they be frozen (whole/chopped)? FoodSavered?

Thanks,
Rita

In no especial order of preference:

Chop and fill an ice cube tray, barely cover with water then freeze; FoodSaver or Ziploc.

Separate into individual cloves, FoodSaver or Ziploc; freeze.

Dice finely or mince. Saute in a little unsalted butter till just soft then remove from the heat. Allow to cool a bit in the pan (or cool more quickly in a bowl). Scrape into a Ziploc, lay the Ziploc flat on the counter and force out the air by completely flattening the shallot mix; seal and freeze. To use, break off a piece of the frozen shallot mix and put it directly into a heating saute pan--instant sauce beginning.

Kevin,

Love your ideas! I particularly like the method where you can "break off" whatever size chunk you need.

Ray

Kevin, I'm glad I can freeze any way I like. I do tomato paste that way - very handy, or freeze it in 1 tablespoon wafers. But it never dawned on me to first saute the shallots. I'll do half and half.

Great information....again. Thanks.
Rita

Rita - I'm surprised you're having problems w/shallots drying out. I guess I've been lucky. Generally I find they keep fine for 2 weeks on the counter as long as they have air circulation so they don't get moldy. You can always keep them in the fridge.

I've kept mine in the fridge for long periods of time, but the taste changes over time as well. They do get stronger as time goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back