Rib Roast side suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennet

I am going to do a Rib Roast for Christmas dinner. We did one last year and everyone loved it. I was just wondering about some side dish suggestions. They can be typical or far out there, I am open. What are your favorites?

Thanks in advance.

This is subject to change upon the whim of the cook:

Appetizers of gravlax with capers, etc.
Wild mushroom soup
Green Bean Salad with Mushrooms, Endive, & Truffle Vinaigrette (it's a "10," but still debating about this one)
Creamed spinach is a must.
Scalloped or mashed smoked garlic potatoes (probably scalloped for texture, but too many smooth/creamy things already - might have to go with roasted potatoes)
Popovers (another must)
Milk Chocolate Mousse Cake (for later....way later)

I often make mashed potatoes with 1/3 mashed carrots - great color and flavor. If I don't do this, I'll need something red for the plate - any suggestions??? Carrot coins or baby carrots? Roast carrots along with the potatoes?

Bennet, I'm glad you asked about this - it's helping me plan a little better. Any critiques will be welcome too.

Rita

For red, BEETS! I do them on the grill, but you can roast them in the oven, both with lots of onions and garlic. For a nice potato dish, I have a gruyere and mustard au gratin that are fabulous. Let me know, and I'll post in the appropriate forum. Creamed spinach with a classic roux and garlic is a must.

Yes, Jane. Beets. Last year I served some old-fashioned pickled beets, as more of a condiment, and half of my guests loved them. The other half wouldn't touch 'em. At least that's something I don't have to cook at the last minute.

IMHO, there is NO other way to make creamed spinach!
Rita

Creamed spinach is easy. Classic 'classic' creamed spinach is not made with a roux, just reduced heavy cream. If using bagged washed fresh spinach figure one bag for 2-3 servings and use a scant .5-cup heavy cream per bag.

Bleed the spinach to get rid of all its excess water (described here). Meanwhile, sweat a T of minced shallot and a t of minced garlic (per bag of spinach) in a little unsalted butter over med-low heat till softened (do not allow to brown); add the appropriate amount of heavy cream, bring to a boil over high heat then reduce the heat to med-high and reduce the cream, stirring occasionally, until it is a bit less than half the original volume. Add the well-squeezed spinach and stir well, breaking it up as you stir. Add a little freshly ground white pepper and a very little freshly grated nutmeg. Cook stirring often, over med heat till any excess water that the spinach exudes evaporates and the mixture is smooth and flavorful, 3-7 min.

I'm going to try this, as I've always made a roux with milk as my liquid. I certainly don't have any qualms about a high fat version for holidaze. Thanks Kevin. You can buy the 2.5 pound bags of fresh spinach at most grocery stores now and Costco carries them. I just use the whole thing.

The proportions above are for the smaller bags of spinach typically found at the supermarket. Scale the quantities appropriately for the larger bags.

Thanks, Kevin. I'll have to try this too and expand my spinach options.

For those counting calories, the roux version is adaptable to use any dairy you'd like:

I usually blanch the spinach quickly. Drain and squeeze out excess liquid. Saute some shallots in butter, add some flour for a white roux, then add some milk, half-and-half, or cream. Even (gasp) fat-free half-and half works well. Season the bechamel with salt, white pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. I usually chop the spinach very fine and stir it in. Sometimes I put the bechamel into a processor with the spinach to mince the spinach finer. Reheat or keep hot in a double boiler.

Those on a lowfat regimen can even use skim milk. Whisk some skim milk into enough flour to thicken the sauce (about 3 tablespoons per cup, but you'll have to play with that). Heat the milk-flour mixture, whisking constantly, until thickened and simmer a few minutes to cook the flour. Naturally, this won't be as luscious but it's still quite good.

Rita

I have always blanched the spinach, too, but looking over Kevin's preparation of the fresh stuff in the colander is a new way I want to try.

Do you find a difference between the baby variety as opposed to the regular?

Jane, your question was directed for Kevin, but my preference is for the larger leaves. They seem to give more body to the creamed spinach. The spinach I like the best was the old, crinkly kind. I haven't seen it in years.

Rita

Thanks Rita. It was for anyone who wanted to offer their input. I remember that spinach. I haven't seen it in years either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
...but my preference is for the larger leaves. They seem to give more body to the creamed spinach. The spinach I like the best was the old, crinkly kind. I haven't seen it in years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Me, too. Better flavor. It is sometimes available here. Rita, Harry's Marietta frequently has crinkly spinach. The so-called 'baby' spinach isn't actually. It's a different variety grown for its milder flavor and smooth small leaves. But it works.

Thanks Kevin! For that spinach I might attempt the 45-60-minute drive through Atlanta's famously horrible traffic.
icon_smile.gif

If I called ahead, would I just ask for "crinkly spinach" or does it have a name? Sheesh! Do some of us have a thing about spinach or what??

Rita

There are many varieties of crinkled spinach (and many of smooth). Crinkled spinach varieties are grouped as "savoy" spinaches. Savoys that have been crossed with smooth varieties (to yield a less crinkled leaf) are called semi-savoys. I'm not sure if anyone at Harry's would know--I'd probably ask for 'savoy-type, crinkled -leaf spinach.

Some of us definitely have a thing for spinach!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back