Throwdown Format?

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I'm wondering if the team format is holding people back from getting into a battle.

What if we set up a single dish free-for-all? We announce an ingredient and give everyone who wants a couple of weeks to submit a picture.

Maybe we can spawn a few more teams from it?

Like your idea of the "Iron Chef" I think this one is a great one too. I think a Throwdown would be a little easier. The intimidation factor would be taken out of the equation. Just have fun and post your dish and do the best that you can. I don't know how you would announce a winner unless you had judges like the "Iron Chef" I think the Throwdown would be a little less formal and may get a little more participation.

Good Idea Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't know how you would announce a winner unless you had judges like the "Iron Chef" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think a poll would work.

I think this is a good idea. In addition we could pick some unusual but not as "challenging" ingredients. Like Beef Tongue!

I think the Iron Chef format is good, but we've really knocked it out of the average "weekenders" capabilities. While it does make one think really creatively the amount of effort to incorporate Chocolate and Tea into BBQ/Grilling dishes is out there, and we're only on battle 3.

I like the idea too. Perhaps, also start out on the easier side of ingredients and make them progresivly more challenging.

I think this is a fantastic idea. I'm way too intimidated to attempt an Iron Chef, but I'd throw my meager skill in a throwdown just for the heck of it.

Great, I figured this would work.

After we finish battle three, I will award the honor of picking the first throwdown challenge to the winning team.

Fantastic idea Jeff. I'm not sure that I have the time to go through the whole I.C. battle, nor do I have a team. But a single dish free-for-all here and there would be a lot of fun. I mean, as long as Bobby Flay doesn't show up and try to use my WSM.

Great idea Jeff. I had thought of suggesting something like this myself. Glad you went for it. I'm a bit surprised that we don't have more folks aching to enter the iron chef comps -- they're so much fun and it really makes you push yourself, but I can appreciate that they're not for everyone. I wouldn't mind if the Throwdown doesn't have a winner; it would be worth it either way. Count me in!

Just wanted to throw this in. My friends wife challenged me to a rib throwdown. We invited a bunch of friends and selected three judges. We each cooked 3 or four slabs of baby backs and had a blind judging. all the judges knew were there was ribs A and ribs B. it was fun. And after the judging (I won a split decision) everyone got to eat ribs and all the side dishe we made and people brought. A good time was had by all. Contact me if you want more details... frank@fevoice.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Good idea

Kevin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

does this mean you might dust off your camera?

Maybe. It would depend on when it was and, thus, where I was. In Vegas (when my clients are here) I cook so much that when I am off I go out (a LOT) or, less often, make a simple something at home. That's the current flow. I'm cooking in Fla, Ga and Tex once they head for Macau mid-month or the beginning of Dec (as yet undetermined) so Dec might work, as probably would January (I'm just doing a few-day thing at New Year's so far).

Would be fun.

J,

I have put alot of thought into this and I think that the team building part is what holds people back from joining the IC comps. That being said, this Throwdown idea could bring in more people. I would suggest within the challenge creating two catigories, all posted to the same thread, that will allow both solid home cooks and aspiring IC people to present and be graded on their selected grouping.
icon_smile.gif

Just my thoughts and I look forward to this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Interesting concept. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not like there is prize money or anything. All you get out of it is personal, and the more you push yourself the more you get out of it. I think we already have two divisions (IC and throwdown), and the throwdown is supposed to help those that don't want to push themselves as far as an IC comp can.

Everything I am as a cook came through experimenting and pushing myself. I copy extremely involved recipes from Chang, Keller, etc, I entered a KCBS contest without ever cooking a brisket.

What I've found it, through my experiments, is that no one cooking technique is all that hard and even the most involved recipe is just a bunch of easy steps stacked up that just require a little planning. With that said I encourage everyone to stop holding themselves back and get cooking.

Hi guys

Been a while since I spent some time on the forum. Been busy moderating and administrating the Aussie BBQ forum.
We have an online BBQ competition regularly. It is an individual event, open to all members. This month's is fish - open comp any way you like as long as it is cooked on a BBQ. Fish is the main ingredient. The following is the link to it.

Easter BBQ competition

Sorry, to play you need to be a forum member, if you want to join and have a go we'd be happy to have you. I think it would be great to see some of your entries. It would sure make for an interesting competition.

Cheers

Captain.

Back