Smoky Joe Platinum

Barry McCorkle

TVWBB Super Fan
My local Ace has a SJP for $50. I noticed Amazon does not have these anymore. Is it worth buying? Anybody using one regularly? Looks too big for tailgating, but would be good to have at house for auxilliary grill or day at the lake with family.

there is one on sale in s.f. ca for $45. not bad i guess if you really want one. but you can buy a cheap 18.5 kettle on cl and put short legs on it.

Barry, you're right about the tailgating part. My SJP won't fit in my Impala's trunk so hauling one around requires a crossover, SUV, station wagon, or truck.

Brad

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
there is one on sale in s.f. ca for $45. not bad i guess if you really want one. but you can buy a cheap 18.5 kettle on cl and put short legs on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would grab it! It is brand new. Besides, the locking lid is awesome.

I love mine as well, I leave it in the back of the truck with a chimnney starter inside and a bag of coals beside it. It ends up at the beach a whole lot of days and you can cook anything on it! The locking lid is awesome to keep things clean. The vents on the side are good for that too but you won't get it real hot without some mods which you can find on here if you want.....

Clark

I just picked one up today for $15. Dates back to 1998. Its pretty cool, I'm using it for the beach. It was barely used and stored inside, the wood handle looks new and the grates look great. I transported it by taking the lid off and putting both parts in the trunk. I hear they are not made anymore and difficult to find. I consider myself lucky, consider yourself lucky if you can get one and new. I plan on adding a one touch system to it to get it hotter and maybe a new Weber dome temperature gauge or an older temperature gauge located in the handle.

Old thread, but I just had to say. I regret not shelling out the $50 when I saw one at Ace a couple years ago. I bought a second smaller SJ to try to meet the space needs that the SJP can offer. Would be nice to only have to bring one grill when cooking for more than just my wife and I.

I've decided to scour all local Ace stores (and by local I mean within 2 hours), hopefully something will turn up.

Finally unboxed my SJP for opening weekend of tailgating on Saturday. A few observations:

It's big. This was good since I needed to grill 12 burgers and 16 hot dogs. It took two loads and handled it well. I also like how tall it stands off the ground, which made it easier to grill.

The lid holder is great, both while grilling and transporting.

One negative was the expected temperature issue from the position of the air vents. I needed to reload charcoal for the second batch of burgers and dogs to get them done in a timely manner. Next time, I will try banking the charcoal near the side air vents.

Overall, I am looking forward to using it again and learning how to better control the temps.

Back