Freezer wisdom

Randy H

TVWBB Fan
I have just gotten a used chest freezer and while I have read horror stories about stuff being left in freezers for too long etc, I thought I'd ask for any tips that you have about a freezer and managing the stuff in it.

Thanks again,

Randy

Louisville KY where derby means smoke

This may sound like insanity, but you might consider keeping a log of the items in the freezer and when they went in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This may sound like insanity </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not at all, especially with a chest style freezer! I hate digging around in those.

I write the date and also list what is in the package when I put it in the freezer. That way you know how old it is.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
I write the date and also list what is in the package when I put it in the freezer. That way you know how old it is.

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the Sharpie is your friend.

If I put stuff in my chest freezer it's also vacuum or cyrovac packed......

Without the vacuum packing I'd consider it "short term" storage which is what the inside freezer is for.

Marking packages is a must. You might not recognize what's in there in a few months.

Date and label what's in the package before putting it in the freezer AND also write it down on a list by the freezer. A magnetic white board works well and doesn't get misplaced.

when i was in college my mom had pretty much stopped using her chest freezer so i sorta took it over for storing rabbits deer and fish i had gathered. my brother decided to use the outlet that the freezer was plugged into to plug his sander in. after sanding his pos 55 chevy he never finished he didnt put the plug back in on the freezer. i came back about 2weeks later to make a nice fish fry opened the freezer... and well thats about as horrible a situation as you can imagine.

i would recomend putting the plug in a spot you can always tell if its on or not.

Back