Another Tel-Tru installation

G

I just finished my installation of my Tel-Tru BQ-300, however I did it somewhat differently from the other installations posted.

I decided on a location oppsite the vent because I had been sticking a thermometer through one of the vent holes, and the location seemed fine with no problems with touching meat on the top grate. I used a 4" Tel-Tru. The problem with sticking a thermometer through one of the vent holes is that you are blocking 33% of the draft, and since I live at 6000 feet I needed all the draft possible.

First I tapped the location, and then used a sharp center punch. Some chipping of the finish may occure, but you will need a hole much larger than any chipping so I wasn't concenened. After punching, I used a Dremel tool, and small bit to make a pilot hole, then a regular drill bit, (several sizes) to end up with a 1/2 " hole. BAck to the Dremel, and a grinding stone, and soon I had a perfect mounting hole just a little larger than the 1/2" NPT (threads) on the thermometer. For gaskets I used paper automotive material. It withstands the termperature, is cheap (an auto shop will give you enough to make two gaskets), and is soft so it provides good mounting for the Tel-Tru. Cut the gasket material with sissors just a little smaller than the threads on the thermometer so the gasket material provides good sealing for the mounting, and then use a 1/2" rigid pipe thread nut to secure the thermometer to the lid, These nuts have edges that will grip the gasket material. There is no need for an expensive SS nut. All very cheap, easily removable, and a nice clean installation. Try it, you'll like it.

Stu Boyd

Sounds good, where are the pics?
icon_smile.gif

Back