Corned Beef Hash

Norman Nelsen

TVWBB Member
On St. Patricks Day I made some excellent Smoked Corned Beef for a group. There was quite a bit left over.
Corned beef Hash is a favorite of mine. I have tried to make it but with little or no success. Does anyone have a good Corned Beef Hash recipe they would share? Thanks

Old Arky Bum

Norman, When I make I just wing it. Par boil some taters till almost done but still a little firm, leave the skins on, take em off your call. Sweat some diced onins ( I like alot) in butter till clear but not too soft, throw in a little garlic, but not too much, can leave it out if you wish. Dice/shred the corned beef and mix with the small dice/cubed taters, onions add S&P to taste. Spred it out in a pan, cassarole dish about 2" thick. Pour some heavy cream on top (if using a Lasagna pan about 1 1/2 - 2 cups will do) and bake at 350 for a 1.5 - 2 hrs till the cream is absorbed and browned on top. Let it cool down a bit to firm up, slice into squares and top with a egg of your choice. If you want to make it nice and crispy, after it sets up, cut into squares and fry it over med heat in some butter on both sides till crisp. You could also use raw taers and shred with a Box grater. Place the shreded taters in a lint free towel and squeeze out all the water you can and proceed with above directions. You'll be looking at 2 hrs for bake time, maybe a little more. I like the raw shred tater squeeze out all the water method myself. HTH
icon_smile.gif

EDIT: If you do the raw tater, squeeze the water out thing you'll need to add some extra liquid. More heavy cream, milk, beef stock, it's all good.

Bryon: Thanks so much for your recipe for making Corned Beef Hash. You can't believe the mess I have made of my Corned Beef Hash. I never thought of baking it. I am all set now for some good stuff this coming Saturday Morning. You have made my day. Thanks again

Norman
Old Arkybum

Norman, To save a lot of time when making the hash, I cook the corned beef till tender the day before, in a pot on the stove. Shred/chop while still warm. Shaves about 3 hrs or so off the hash making the next day. You can also parboil the taters after the corned beef is done in the liquid from cooking the corned beef. Leave skins on for this. Next day peel the skins off or not and have at it. I would use uniform sized small medium taters if going the parboil route verses the raw shred route. You don't want to get too much liquid in the hash, but you do need some. I never measure anything so I'm no help for quantities needed, sorry I just eyeball everything.
icon_frown.gif
Remember, If you shred the raw taters, and squeeze them out in the towel, you'll need more liquid than the parboil route. Adding some parsely would be good too.

Back