Stoker and 22.5 wsm

Stevie Z

TVWBB Member
Can I use my wsm attacehment for the 18" on the 22.5"? WIll the "bell housing" fit over the 22.5" 's vent?

Steve, this is my answer to the same question on another thread.

“No. Several problems that I ran into.

First, the threaded screw pattern on the 10 cfm fan is different from the screw pattern on the 5 cfm fan, so I got a dish drilled for the 10 cfm fan from Rocks.

Second, the bolt used to attach the “dog dish” over the bottom vent on the 18, goes through the bottom hole in the vent up through a hole in the dish, just below the fan at 6 o’clock. On the 22”, there are four holes in the vent, not three like is on the 18, so it does not seal over the vent.

In an attempt to remedy the second problem, I drilled a hole for the bolt at about 5 o’clock and used a small nut instead of the wing nut, but the dish is too small to get a good seal around the vent, even with the tabs cut off.

I bought a larger dog dish at Pet Food Express but haven’t had time to drill it to fit the 10 cfm fan yet. If I have time next week, I’ll call John at Rock’s and see if I can bring him the bottom of my 22 and the larger dish and see if we can set up something that works.”

OK, here is what I did. I went to Pet Food Express and bought a stainless dog dish that is 6 ½” across the open end, 5” across the bottom and 2 ¾” high. PetEdge.com has the same thing, Item # ZW149, 1 qt capacity, 6” width, $3.99 ea. I drilled a hole for the attachment bolt, but at about 10:30, so that the attachment is from the top rather than the bottom, so that the extra weight of the 10 CFM fan and bowl wouldn’t pull the top of the bowl out creating a leak. I then drilled holes for the screws to attach the fan to the bowl, and a 1” hole for the air flow. Make sure you center the fan so that the hump is on the top otherwise the trap door won’t function properly. You will also need to replace the bolt with a 3” bolt.

Chuck,

Did you ever get a chance to call John at Rock's?

If so, do you know if he plans to offer a new adapter for the 22" WSM?

I sent an email to Rock's a while ago asking about a 22" WSM adapter but never received a reply.

Ray

Ray,

I called John on Monday but he wasn’t in so I left a message. John doesn’t do messages and email. This morning, I sent him an email on my modification and I’ll call him again today to let him know to check his email.

By the way, I drilled a 1 1/8" opening for the air flow to match the width of the CFM fan bracket.

Here are some pictures of the adaptor that I made. The first picture shows the 3” bolt attached through the upper left vent hole on the 22.5" WSM.
Bolt.jpg

This picturte shows the hole pattern.
Drilled.jpg

This picture shows the 10 CFM fan attached to the 22.5” WSM
Attached.jpg

This picture shows the comparison of the 5 and 10 CFM fans. Note that on 5 CFM fan, the bolt hole is at the bottom, at 6 o’clock, and the bolt hole on the 10 CFM fan is at about 10:30 o’clock.
5and10CFMfans.jpg

Another less ugly option is getting a GURU WSM mount and drilling a whole specifically for it. Then all you have to do is this (courtesy Jim B):
Guru-to-Stoker.jpg

close all your vents and your good. Looks much better then the dog dish and probably costs the same.

-rob

The hole is drilled through the weber with a hole saw. The guru mount is actually 2 parts - the deflector on the left and the fan mount on the right. They screw together. To mount it on the WSM you drill a NEW air vent hole, unscrew the deflector and put the deflector in the smoker. Then on the outside of the smoker you screw in the fan mount until everything is snug. The copper coupler couples the outside of the fan mount to the inside stoker fan.

I have this setup on my WSM and will post some pics and the exact diameter of the hole I drilled later tonight. The mount from Guru is $17 but shipping is $13. It's still worth it though as you'll see it looks purdy. I have both a stoker and a guru so having interchangeable mounts is a real good thing.

-rob

Do you have the 5 or the 10 CFM fan mounted on that bracket? The hole pattern for the 10 CFM is a little bigger than the 5 CFM, 1 15/16” X 1 1/16.

the bolt pattern is not used. You just stick the fan into the coupler the clip on the outside keeps it snug against the silicon doughnut. Real simple. I have both a 5 and 10 cfm fan but honestly a 10 CFM fan is too much blower for a WSM - even a 22 inch one. I've experimented with one on my homebrewed temp controller and its too much power.

OK then. I managed to take some pics although its friggin cold up here with wind blowing and I'm still seeing ice on my deck!!

Here is a shot of the mounted GURU adapter. The hole I drilled was just under 1 inch. If you buy the adapter from Guru it has instructions as to what hole to drill.

wsm1.jpg

Here is a shot of the 5 and 10 cfm fans with the coupler on the mount:

wsm2.jpg

Here is a mounted fan. I could have pushed the unit such that it made a seal with the orange doughnut but I wanted you to see the clip that holds it all in place.

wsm3.jpg

This is what it looks like from the side:
wsm4.jpg

When I ordered the 5 and 10 CFM fans last year I told Jon that I had "a guru mount on all of my units" and send me whatever mount would work for that. He sent 2 blowers configured like this:

wsm5.jpg

I'm thinking now what he sent me was a fan already mounted with an adapter.

PS. I'm doing the same thing with my BGE - that is I got an adapter from Guru and will mount the stoker on it. The BGE stays on the deck and the WSM travels for comps.
Hope this helps

ddd

Got it!

Let me ask you this. After a cook and you want to snuff the coals, can you pull off the fan to get it out of the elements and plug the hole?

Thank you for taking time in the miserable weather to take pictures. I’m a little dense at times. It’s 63º here in NorCal at sunset.
icon_biggrin.gif

The fan slips right out as the only pressure on it is the clip tension. To plug the hole you can either get a silicon plug from Guru or stuff some wrapped up foil in there. I have both but usually find foil around that I can recycle.

63 - you are killing me! I've been to Hopland, CA to visit the original Red Tail brew pub if that counts! That's as far north as I got.

-rob

And here is my effort. Used nice heavy stainless steel dog food bowl from local pet store. It does have a rubber ring bonded to bottom edge, but I don't believe heat will be a problem for it. We shall see.

mounted_all.jpg

Here is bowl mounted before being cut.

bowl_marked.jpg

Bowl marked for cutting.

bowl_cut.jpg

Bowl after hole cut.

built.jpg

Bowl with blower installed.

inside_mounted.jpg

Nice polished inside of bowl.

screw.jpg

Screw installed for mounting of bowl.

mounted.jpg

Blower mounted on lower bowl of smoker.

base_wide.jpg

Wider view of base with blower installed.

Looking forward to getting it fired up!
Mike

So I take it you really need a 10cfm fan on the 22, Right now I run 2 18's 1 is mine and one my team mates for comps The stoker equiptment is mine. Which means I have 2 5cfm blowers. I want to buy a 22 will I need to upgrade to a 10 or will my 5 be enough?

Originally posted by M Smith:
So I take it you really need a 10cfm fan on the 22, Right now I run 2 18's 1 is mine and one my team mates for comps The stoker equiptment is mine. Which means I have 2 5cfm blowers. I want to buy a 22 will I need to upgrade to a 10 or will my 5 be enough?

I spoke with John at Rocks and we talked about our UDS's and he said a 5 cfm will work great for a UDS. Since the WSM is a bit smaller than the UDS, a 5 cfm fan should be perfect.

James. Thank you. You saved me $30 on two smokers. On my WSMs I'm going to drill out the vent plate rivet and use that whole for the bolt, freeing up all 4 holes and removing the vent plate all together. Using a small drill to drill out the rivet will not cause you to cut into any porcelain. If I need to cook without the fan I'll use a wing-nut and bold to put the vent plate back on. This will free up all four vent holes for the fan to blow air into. I’ll attach some picts when the project is complete.

Back