what to cook with SJG while camping

jay k.

TVWBB Member
I just picked up a SJG and will be going camping over the forth. looking for inspiration...

Any ideas for things to cook besides the usual sausages, hot dogs, burgers, veggies, steaks?

I do a lot of indirect cooks on my SJG.

Some of my favourites have been chicken thighs and quarters, also drumsticks; and ribs.

You could also do quails or even a cornish hen.

Well Jay -

What did you cook? Last time I camped I smoked a pork shoulder and cooked some chicken. Worked out great.

I made breakfast sandwiches every morning.
Scrambled eggs in a small pan, munster chz, bacon, on sour cream and chive bagels, and buttered croissants. My friends were jealous, so I shared.

I made my fair share of burgers, hot dogs, and sausages.

I made a pair of tiny new york strips my wife picked out. They were cute and tasty, but I prefer them to be thicker and bigger than 6oz?

I was having trouble with the fire and temps. I need to practice more, nothing overcooked just never seemed like a hot enough flame. I followed the recommendation of banking all the coals on one side, closing its vent, opening the indirect side vent and lid vent on top of the coals. IT always felt like when I was done cooking the coals were the hottest. and I would let the fire build for 30-40 min using a chimmeny and pre-heating the SJG.

I loved having it, and all my friends wanted to use it. I just need to learn some tricks on it.

The only 'trick' I've ever learned was to definately not put too much charcoal in it. When I first started out with it I would use WAY too much charcoal and it would choke out as it couldn't get enough air through it. Now I usually use 12-15 briqs at the very most. Remember, it's a VERY small space that needs to get heated.

Try throwing some baked potatoes wrapped up in foil on and then add a couple steaks after an hour or so using no more than 15 briqs. It taught me to go with fewer briqs and use then up almost completely by the time you finish.

Been using the SJS as our camping grill for several years now and it's all we've ever needed. Great little performer once you get used to it.

Russ

Back