SS beer can

Trev

TVWBB Super Fan
Has anyone seen a place that sells a stainless steel beer can for use in the chcken roaster? It's not necessarily because of the aluminum content but rather because I don't want to have to buy beer in cans if I can use the bottled kind I already have at home. Thanks for any help.

I would recomend the Weber poultry roaster. It is not a SS can but it is a non-stick chicken roaster that serves fantastic beer can chicken without the can. I use it about once a week ... in fact I did a chicken on it last night along with some baked potatoes.

The poultry roaster I think costs around $30 but I found it in the clearance section at sears for 8 bucks two years ago. I think I just got lucky because I have not seen it since for sale.

Good Luck

I also have beer only in bottles, so when I want to do beer can chicken I pour the beer into a coke can that I have washed out. You can buy a lot of cokes for the cost of a dedicated chicken roaster base.

I'm not convinced that a can full of any kind of liquid actually imparts flavor into the bird, rather I think it is more of a novelty. I've read various studies/tests and none have concluded any benefit especially using beer. Save the beer to drink and brine the bird. As a result, I just use an inexpensive holder from Walmart such as this. The upright position might add some uniform roasting results.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
I'm not convinced that a can full of any kind of liquid actually imparts flavor into the bird, rather I think it is more of a novelty. I've read various studies/tests and none have concluded any benefit especially using beer. Save the beer to drink and brine the bird. As a result, I just use an inexpensive holder from Walmart such as this. The upright position might add some uniform roasting results. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That wally world "roasting rack" is nice heavy duty stainless steel, I have a few. I'm with Paul on the beer being for drinking. Kegs are better than bottles IME. If you don't have time to brine just pickup the Tyson broth added while you're at Wally World.

Thanks for the replies, guys. The coke can solution is definitely the most reasonable course of action if I'm bent on the beer can chicken, but I have to admit that it's time for me to try a brine. I love doing spatchcock chicken on the kettle grill and my wife says it's every bit as good as the beer can chicken, but my kids are so stuck on beer can chicken they may actually revolt if I stopped making it. A brined bird roasted on a holder. as posted, is a very interesting idea I'm compelled to try.
Thanks again for the input.

Stephen Raichlen makes a Beer Can Chicken Kit that comes with a stainless steel beer can, a can holder, a food thermometer, poultry sheers and high heat gloves.

The kit was way over-priced (around 50 bucks) but I got a bunch of them when Barbecues Galore was closing them out for 8 bucks a pop.

Here's a link to the kit on Amazon.

I like the reusable can, and as people have pointed out, since this method doesn't add flavor you can just fill the can with water to steam/moisten the inside of he bird.

Bill

Thanks for the link, Bill. Man, Raichlen sells everything even remotely related to grilling!

Call me a novice but why do you all say that the beer does not add flavor? I have done several and didn't brine, rub or inject. Yet when I do serve the chicken, it has a sweet flavor that is not imparted in any other style of cooking I've tried. Just looking for answers to fill my "thirst" for knowledge (pardon the pun).

I may be wrong about this (after all I'm not a scientist) but I believe that the beer doesn't add flavor because only the water in the beer is turning to vapor and steaming the inside of the bird. All the other ingredients of the beer remain in the can. If the flavor causing agents don't ever come in contact with the chicken, the chicken can't be flavored by them.

It's the same principle as reducing a sauce -- the water evaporates out, leaving the flavor components behind. You wind up with the same amount of flavor in a much smaller volume of liquid making the sauce more flavorful.

I think beer can chicken is more for show. Therefore, the can itself is probably more important than its content.

Bill

Thanks for the link, Tim. That looks like a similar type idea as the weber chicken roaster. That would solve the whole can debate.

Regarding whether beer imparts a flavour or not-- maybe a test is in order? I frequently do a few birds at a time so it would be easy enough to use a can of straight water and a can of the usual beer and seasonings to see what, if any, difference there is. I feel a challenge coming on! With everything else being equal I would imagine it would be easy to have a very controlled test. Maybe this weekend I'll do just that.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

My thought on the beer can chicken thing is that what actually happens is that the liquid in the container acts as a thermal ballast that keeps the bird from drying out from the inside, and preserves moisture in the breast/body cavity. There is some flavor imparted, not much at all though in my opinion. You definitely get a moister product, but IMHO the beer it self doesn't impact much at all. At least not any more than any other liquid. Now brining - that's a different story!

I don't beer can the chicken much anymore since moving to brining and rotie cooking whole chickens.

Vertical roasting though overall is a great technique.

I did six chickens on the WSM with a half a beer in each "rear". They turned out great. I'm not sure if the beer really added any taste that I could tell. I added sliced onion and apple to the can. (The best part of the whole method was drinking three beers at 2:00 PM!)

Has anyone ever tried just propping them up vertical without a can? Will they stay upright without it?

When I did mine, even with the can in, I was careful not to bump the WSM. Especially since I drank three beers!

I did a 7 lb roaster last night and was going to just sit it down on the rack but it really wouldn't stand very well on it's own. Luckily I had just finished a beer and stuffed the can (empty) in the bottom just to help her sit up.

This one definitely was not as moist as other birds I've cooked with water or beer in the can, so I might go back to adding some kind of liquid in the can. I've never tasted any difference in any bird as it relates to what is in the can.

Todd

I've tried using a can of 1/2 filled beer but really didn't see whereas the beer gave any noticeable flav. increase. I mainly just saw it as a convenient way to hold the chicken upright. I plan on buying a roaster rack as I'm pondering that a beer can stuffed inside the bird actually blocks smoke and heat from inside the cavity of bird.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've tried using a can of 1/2 filled beer but really didn't see whereas the beer gave any noticeable flav. increase. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Doug,

Did you put any of your rub into the can with the beer? I find that helps get some added flavor to the chicken.

Ray

Back