Extra-Virgin Olive Oil FRAUD

Hey Rita - have to say I've always been suspect of the oils on the shelves here in the US, as I really have no idea how to tell if I'm being taken advantage of other than taste. I have actually taken some back.

That said I'm really hesitant about paying top shelf for something I figure is old when I get it anyway.

So I go by a mix of flavor, color and price. As far as big chain - I've been buying one or two versions of Trader Joe's brands for quite few years as standard. By flavor more than anything else. I know it says EVOO on it but have always been distrustful of that as just a label.

While in Italy this year I did have the opportunity to have a good bit of what I'm sure was the real thing. By taste I would say what I have had in the US, some come close.

As informative as this article was in terms of a warning - it really doesn't tell you how to "tell" or judge as a consumer to protect yourself from over paying, etc or how to make sure you are getting the real thing.

Most Italians send their olives off to a processor who comes around during the harvest. At least that's what the locals told me while I was there. Those I visited had large stainless containers (looked like milk containers).

They gather their olives - the processor comes around and picks them up, then drops off their share after processing based on the amount of olives were provided.

Have no idea how the huge operators in Italy work.

Olive oils (and the olives) I had while visiting locals was exquisite. I missed harvest time though. Next time I visit I'd like to be there during the festivals. Regardless I think I learned how the real thing ought to taste at least.

Yes, Ray, I agree that the article left us hanging. How would one find out? I doubt, if the oil was blended, that the information would be available on the Internet.

I know that Kevin likes Morea, from Greece.

Rita

I bought a bottle about a year ago that provided a 'tracking number' on it. You could enter the tracking number on their website and it provided satelite pics of the orchard, date the olives were harvested and bottled. Don't know if there was anything blended into what was advertised as evoo... It was a very good oil. This article would hopefully encourage certain producers to advertise their product as being 100% of what the label states.

Paul

My in-laws came home from a 3 mounth trip to sicily.( 6 month ago..Or so) And they bought us 5 liters olive oil. Made from a "Local" oil maker that does everything by hand. Pick/press/bottle and its only sold on the farm to the locals.

It´s by sicily standard a high end product.

Used about half of it now and all i can say WOW. But i only use this in cold dishes. If im gonna heat it up im using a less more exclusive evoo.

Well that certainly explains why there is such a differencee in taste in many virgin oils. I'm with Kevin - love the Morea (which even has an expiration date on the bottle). Have also found some great oils in Hilton Head at The Oilerie.

For cooking / saueting I frequently use Goya - a good cheaper oil.

Ray

I really like the Costco extra-virgin olive oil -- that the one in the SQUARE bottle which has a vintage year on the label. That's my everyday EV.

Also the Morea, a bit milder in flavor and lighter in color, for cold preps. Kevin ought to get a percentage of their sales.

Rita

Bob or Rita

Does Kirkland list a source for their oil? US,Italy, Spain, etc?

What's interesting or scary depending on your pov, is that Best Value ranked high also if I'm reading the report correctly. Best Value is a Wal Mart brand I believe.

Paul

Paul,

I have the regular Kirkland stuff, not the organic, and it states that it's pressed from Italian olives.

Here is the information from the label on my last Kirkland (Costco) square, 1-liter bottle:
Note: The bottle is made of dark green glass.

Around the neck of the bottle:
Consorzio Per La Tutela Dell’Olio ExtraVergine di Oliva Toscano IGP
AX 106663

On the front of the bottle:

Kirkland Signature
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Toscano
Protected Geographical Indication (plus their logo)
From Tuscany
October/November
2010 Harvest
Maximum Acidity .5%
1 liter (33.8 FL. OZ.)

Here is an interesting article from a Costco fan:

http://addictedtocostco.com/20...l-best-imported-oil/

I haven’t tried the 1.5-liter bottles of Organic Extra-Virgin Olive oil yet.

Rita

Back