Messed up on my bacon - need some info

Bob Hunter

TVWBB Pro
Ok a couple weeks ago I made two batches of bacon. The first batch was 10 lbs of belly cured in a brine for 3 days. Then I soaked it and dried on the fridge over night (about 20 hours). The second batch I made with the Maple syrup dry cure and it has been the fridge for ten days, getting flipped daily. We I pulled the belly and then rinsed, but I totaly forgot about drying it and forming the pellicle. It got towel dried and dropped righton the smoker. It was too late by the time realized what I had done.

Anyway, and ideas on how this is going to affect the finished product? What problems can this create?

Thanks.

I can't see that you will run into other problems than that the smoke taste will be weaker. Other than that, the bacon's going to be just fine.

If someone would like to be very spesific, it's possible to speculate in the fact that the preservation factor of the smoking process can be a bit weaker as well, but in our days of deep freezing, I would think that the difference is next to nothing. Not really possible to measure.

That's true.
Plus around my house, with my kids, 5 lbs of bacon won't last long enough to go bed, yet alone need to freeze.

Bob, imo, don't give it a second thought. Yeah, perhaps a bit less smoke flavor. Assuming your hot smoking, there isn't gonna be any difference in preservation. Let us know how it turned out!

Back