Hey Smoker Joe Guys!

S Mitchell

TVWBB Pro
I was wondering how long of a burn do you get on your smoker joes without adding fuel? I am getting more and more interested in doing this for tailgating with apps and such. Plus it's just cool looking!

I got about 6 tonight using lump.
The last hour of it was barely at 200 though.

It's also 15 degrees outside here, and I'm a noob.

S - I haven't used Smoker Joe for long cooks in cold weather, but I have routinely gotten 9 hours using lump or K, but I added an inverted stainless steel puppy bowl over the bottom vent with four 3/8 inch holes drilled along the top edge of the bowl to aid in keeping ash from clogging the bottom vent.

Pat

Without ash control I am getting about 4 hours. Made 3 racks of loin backs just tonight. 4 hours on lump, but the temp held at 200-225 degrees for 4 hours. I just put the ribs on and came back 4 hours later, and they were done.

Jay

Originally posted by S Mitchell:
Sorry for not being clear. Yes, I want to do the tamale steamer mod.

No problem. It depends a lot of what you are cooking. I cooked 16 pounds of rib roasts and i got almost 4 hours out of it with no problems. You can get a lot longer with smaller cuts of meat.

But here something important to keep in mind. Adding fuel is almost a complete non-issue with this thing. The tamale pot section has handles, it's light, and it gives you total access to the fire at waist level (cause the whole thing is so light you can put it on a table if you want). So adding fuel is no big deal at all so unless you are talking about overnight cooks, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Every time I use it I always amazed how my little homemade smoker the easiest cooker to work with that I've own.

I agree with adding fuel, totally a non issue. And super simple. If all you have to do is add fuel every 4 hours you are set.

So far the biggest limitation is the ash control/build up. There just isn't a lot of room for ash in the bottom of the SJS. Which may make the SJG a better cooker for this, because the holes are on the sides.

As a matter of fact the more I think about this, the holes on the bottom and the little ash catcher on the bottom of the SJS are a pain in this application. Would much rather, cook, remove the coals, and dump the ash from the bowl. Than to cook, dump the ash pan, then remove the coals, and then dump the ash from the bowl.

if you read all the posts you will find that a upside down can with holes drilled in it placed over the bottom vent holes works really well. i've gotten almost 7 hours cooking time with no problems. but really, you just have to dive in and see what works for you.

Thanks for the info guys. I am getting really excited to try this. Would be perfect for tailgating! Of course, I have to wait till next year now.
icon_mad.gif

I am glad you replied Ryan. Your mini looks very interesting. I am wondering what method of modification you would recommend for a guy who is not in comps, just tailgating and home use, your mod or the tamale steamer mod?

Tamale, for sure, especially if the pot is removeable. The weight of the aluminum pot compared to that of the steel drum, and the fact that the steel drum is fixed onto the smokey joe makes the tamale cooker the perfect smoker for tailgating, next year....

Shane , on mine which i geared for tailgating, I'm using a SJGold, & left the bottom in the pot to serve as my heat shield.
299aa7bc.jpg

97405636.jpg

Thanks fellas. OK, one more question. It seems from what I have read that the silver is the way to go, but I see alot of golds. What is the best way to go?

Originally posted by S Mitchell:
Thanks fellas. OK, one more question. It seems from what I have read that the silver is the way to go, but I see alot of golds. What is the best way to go?

I have been using a silver but the ash issue is a real concern. You will need to put a can in the SJS or use the gold.

I think I have a line on an SJG, so if I get it I will cook a Turkey breast or something in it to compare it to the SJS.

But having the airholes on the side, and being able to just dump the ash without dealing with that little ash tray seems like it will be worth it.
Jay

Back