Wooden Cutting Boards *****

Google "butcher block care", will get some diy info. I have a "Boos" cutting board that I purchased from a local restaurant supply store and since the saleman was a close friend he threw in a bottle of their treatment.

When new I give mine 4 or 5 good coats of olive oil over a few weeks time to allow it to soak it good. After I start using it after each wash it gets a fresh coat of olive oil and always kept dry unless using or washing. I have 2 going on 10 years old now and haven't cracked yet, they have never been in a dishwasher though.

First thing is to buy a quality wooden board. Second is to not let it sit wet for an extended period of time or soak it in the sink or run it through the dishwasher. Third is to wash/santitize it by hand then dry thoroughly and apply mineral oil after each washing. If not used for several weeks, hit it again with mineral oil if it starts looking dry.

I don't like to use vegetable oils as they can turn rancid/sticky over time.

There's probably a bunch of good info on cutting board care on the Boos website:

http://www.johnboos.com/support/

Regards,
Chris

Boos makes two different things for oiling boards, one is a mineral type substance and the other is more of a goopy honey wax type of stuff. Not sure what either of them are but both work really well.

I wash mine and hand dry and probably oil every month or so. I cut everything on them except stuff covered in certain spices which can cause serious staining. Even if they get stained I just sand them and apply more oil.

If any of you live in the midwest near Central IL be sure to stop by the Boos outlet in Effingham IL if you can. I've got 3 Boos boards and paid less than $60 total for all of them. A 18"X3" thick round end cut block, a 18"x12"x3" end cut maple block, and a standard 18"x12"x3" block. Last time I was home they had extra sections of 3" thick Boos Butcher Block counter tops for $10 a linear foot. If I could have got a 6' section on the plane I would have.

As mentioned never ever put a wood board in a dish washer.
Never let one soak in water.
Keep away from high heat and sunlight.
Wash with soap and water, rinse well and towel dry. Then prop it up so it can dry completely, never lay a wet board down on a flat surface and leave it.
Use mineral oil or one of the cutting board oils on a completely dry board every 4-6 weeks or if you see it's drying out.
I use the BOOS Mystery Oil on my BOOS board. HTH
BOOS Mystery Oil almost 3/4 of the way down on that page. Also they have great prices on BOOS Boards.

Back