Hatch chiles!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
Looks like we're in the middle of the hatch chile season. Anyone have they're favorite recipes/uses for these peppers? I've been roasting them and putting them into omlettes, fajitas, salsas, and fresh on salads, etc. In TX they're on sale for .99/lb and I'd like to take advantage of the supply. Do they freeze well?

Paul and Bill, fresh chiles will freeze after roasting them. Be sure to include the juices.

Rita

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Paul and Bill, fresh chiles will freeze after roasting them. Be sure to include the juices.

Rita
Yes that's what I did with mine when I ordered bags of them a couple years ago. Charred them, let em cool and vaced em up and put in the freezer. Still have a coulpe bags left. Thaw, peel off charred skin, slice, dice enjoy.
icon_biggrin.gif

I roast them on a hot propane grill. Give each pepper a poke with a fork or knife first, so they don't explode. Roast just enough to blister the skin. Don't overdo it - if you blacken/char them, you start to cook the pepper flesh and the skin is much harder to remove. Take them off the grill and put them in a paper bag until cool, this steams the skin off further. Then - cut off the tops, and under running water slip off the skins, open them up and remove the seeds and veins. Cut into thin strips and then into diced pieces. I process them all the way before freezing them, a small (snack-size) ziploc bag will hold 6-8 chopped peppers. One bag is just right for a pot of green chile stew.

They are 50 cents a pound here, I put up about 150 peppers over the weekend for less than $10.

Yes but they will become soft when thawed. That's okay if the plan is to use them in things like sauces, braises, pastes, etc.

Originally posted by Melman:
I roast them on a hot propane grill. Give each pepper a poke with a fork or knife first, so they don't explode. Roast just enough to blister the skin. Don't overdo it - if you blacken/char them, you start to cook the pepper flesh and the skin is much harder to remove. Take them off the grill and put them in a paper bag until cool, this steams the skin off further. Then - cut off the tops, and under running water slip off the skins, open them up and remove the seeds and veins. Cut into thin strips and then into diced pieces. I process them all the way before freezing them, a small (snack-size) ziploc bag will hold 6-8 chopped peppers. One bag is just right for a pot of green chile stew.

They are 50 cents a pound here, I put up about 150 peppers over the weekend for less than $10.

First, let me say, to all their own. But why, oh why would you take out the seeds and the veins?? That's the best part?? Also, if you pierce the pepper while grilling all the goody juice is gone too. Just my suggestion.

Adrian

I don't know what this "juice" is. There isn't any in the Anaheim/"Hatch" chile. If you've ever had a pepper burst on the grill, and been sprayed with hot seeds, you'll never forget to poke them first.

Source: http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/fresh_chiles.asp

Some of the peppers I put up last week had perhaps 100 seeds in them. Each. I remove them all. Usually the veins come along with them. I prefer the taste of the pepper itself, to the heat. Of course, some of last week's batch were quite bland, almost tasteless. Maybe not quite ripe enough, who knows.

You guys/gals could always make a green chile pork with those wonderful chiles. I agree with Adrian...remove the heat? They are hatch chiles not Walmart canned chiles. The whole reason to buy Hatch chiles is for their taste and heat..

There is a recipe on the site for green chile pork...I would use that.

I just throw a bunch of chiles in a crockpot with 1 head of garlic, 1 onion and country style pork (boneless), 3 cans of chicken stock and let simmer for about 12-14 hours. Sometimes I throw a ham hock in there for that smokey taste. Salt and pepper to taste and the meat just falls apart like pulled pork. Great in burros, tacos, flying saucers,...etc.

Originally posted by Melman:
I don't know what this "juice" is. There isn't any in the Anaheim/"Hatch" chile. If you've ever had a pepper burst on the grill, and been sprayed with hot seeds, you'll never forget to poke them first.

Source: http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/fresh_chiles.asp

Some of the peppers I put up last week had perhaps 100 seeds in them. Each. I remove them all. Usually the veins come along with them. I prefer the taste of the pepper itself, to the heat. Of course, some of last week's batch were quite bland, almost tasteless. Maybe not quite ripe enough, who knows.

Like I said to all their own, but being the nationality that I am I have been grilling chiles (correct spelling) for pretty much all my life and NEVER has one exploded on me or near me for that matter. I've even roasted em in oil when we have a fish fry and never have they exploded. Maybe you had a bad batch??

Adrian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back