temp. probe eyelets

Marc

TVWBB All-Star
First off, what a wonderful site this is. It's certainly what convinced me to purchase my WSM.
Then if not for the guidance of this community I have no doubt that my first cooks would of
been of questionable success!
My question is in regard to the BBQ Guru eyelets versus Rock's grommets.  My understanding is
that the eyelet is flared after inserting to hold it in place. If that's the case, how would one remove
it to be able to remove the grill support bracket? On the other hand if, Rock's grommets appear to
have a collar with a set screw.  Is this correct?
I'm still contemplating making an adjustable tier grill supports and I don't want to make that experiment
more difficult by limiting my ability to swap out those supports.
Thanks for your input...

I have Guru eyelets installed on my WSM, and I also have a Stoker, so I've seen both styles. Yes, the Guru eyelets are installed like a hollow rivet. To remove them would be a chore, but possible. The Stoker style do install with a set screw, so removing them only requires an Allen wrench.

I think the easiest way to remove an eyelet would be to drill it out. Buy why would you want to remove it?

Paul, As I alluded to, I've been fooling around with some "homemade" adjustable grill support brackets and have
not settled on anything as yet. Once I do, then it isn't an
issue.
Thanks Larry - That's what I thought. So for now, for the
sake of science, the grommets might be the way to go
until I settled on my support brackets.
Aesthetically, I think I like the eyelets better. Maybe when I
get around to the Unibit I'll do dedicated holes.

Marc,

I have installed one eyelet on the top hole ( or upper grill strap) position. I have found it to be very useful as I have placed a weber replacement therm through this eyelet which gives me a reading at the upper grate level. It is very professional looking and useful. I don't see a problem with it. I don't envision having to remove it for any reason whatsoever. If I had to, however, it probably would require some kind of drilling or use of pliers. Removal would probably cause some slight chipping of the porcelain if not done properly. It is more of a permanent install and for this reason may not be suitable for you as your are contemplating other modifications with the grill straps. Mike

I've removed one of my Guru eyelets and it's really no problem to drill them out. (I installed one backwards)

There are many ways to add an extra grate without modifing the straps from Weber so I never thought of using anything that was removable.

icon_biggrin.gif

MikeZ

Originally posted by Ryan C.:
I want to be able to put my the temp probe though the top vent as I have seen. Is this what i want for the stoker

http://rocksbarbque.com/Accessories.html

Which is better.. I have some gunking issues with the vent already so I am thinking the stoker would be better for cleaning.

If you want to run a probe through the top vent, you don't need either the Guru eyelet or the Stoker grommet. Both of these install in place of the bolts that hold the grate supports on the side of the WSM body. They don't install in a vent hole.

This isn't exactly an answer to your question, but it may be relevant. I've installed Guru eyelets in two WSMs now, and I don't use them much anymore. There are enough times that I want to pull off the racks without taking out the probes when I'm doing large pieces like butts. With the wires just carefully placed between the sections, I've noticed no wear and tear an them, and I can just pick up the racks and all without having to fool with the probe wires or bother having to thread them up from underneath the top rack when I put the thing back together. For what it's worth.

I have two eyelets in my WSM, and most of the time only use one of them for the two ET-73 probes. It's low-tech, but I stick a small twig in the other hole.

ok, so to get or not to get?

i have been contemplating this for a while. right now i run the digi q probes under the lid but think this will wear them out faster, but who knows. i just think $16 shipped is sorta crazy for a pair of eyelets. however, maybe getting an adapter for the kettle will help offset the shipping cost. hmmmmm

Originally posted by reardon:
i just think $16 shipped is sorta crazy for a pair of eyelets. however, maybe getting an adapter for the kettle will help offset the shipping cost.
I thought the same thing when I ordered my eyelets, so I got the Tel-Tru thermometer too. I almost got the leather gloves and silver bullet cover, but I decided not to go overboard.

Get a pair of the rubber food handling gloves, they're great. I also use they're tel tru with the cone shaped plug, oh and the probe tree works very well too. I ended up picking my orders up in person, since they weren't all that far from me.

Received my eyelet assembly from BBQ Guru, they came much faster then expected
icon_smile.gif
Going to install them this weekend. I think I'll place one at the top grate and the other at the bottom grate.
Thoughts/experience?

Go to Lowes and in the nut and bolt section in the bin drawers the have what are call T-nuts, the are stainless steel, size 1/4, 5/16 etc. and only about a buck both ET73 probes will go thru the 5/16
icon_wink.gif

I'm with Dudley on this one. Unless you have "Tool Time" tendencies, the eyelets are really not that useful or handy. JMO

Back