Stoker - From outside my local network

G

I recently received a Stoker with the 2.0.259 software. Everything works fine connecting to it on my network, but if I try to connect to it from the internet it fails.

I have router software that allows me to redirect incoming traffic on a made up port number of 49999 to port 80 of the static IP address I set up the stoker with. Other port forwarding I do for things like RDP and a Slingbox device works fine.

I know this topic of connecting to the Stoker via the internet has been discussed here before, but has anyone tried it now with the new version of the software?

I haven't upgraded my Stoker software yet (soon, soon). I'm assuming that since you are asking about hitting it from outside your local network that you can indeed hit it internally? I've had no problem hitting mine from outside my local net.

It would seem to suggest that either your router redirect is setup wrong somewhere, or maybe your ISP is blocking that port # for some reason? Perhaps try using the IP/port combo you use with your Slingbox just to see if another currently working combo works for the Stoker as well?

Thanks Todd.

Yes, I can hit the Stoker internally. I don't think my ISP is blocking many ports other than things like 25 and 80.

I did try your idea of assigning the Stoker the IP and port that would normally be used by the Slingbox, but no luck there either.

The one thing that is unique about the port forwarding I am trying to do for the Stoker is that I need to redirect to port 80. Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) doesn't need to be redirected. It uses port 3389. I just tell the port forwarding part of my router software that if any traffic comes in on port 3389 it should be directed to 192.168.1.201. But for the Stoker, I need to tell it if sees traffic come in on 49999 it should be directed to 192.168.1.202 port 80.

This is definitely confusing me. ;-)

I tried port 49999 also and it didn't work, switching to 8080 and it was fine. I'd have to wonder if 49999 is a commonly blocked port, maybe some trojan uses it.

If you are trying to access it from your work, then depending on the policies set there, the firewall/proxy server there might be blocking your access on the oddball port.

I am leaning towards this being a problem with the firmware on my router. I have a Linksys WRT54G.

When I first started playing around with the Stoker this past Saturday, I realized I couldn't find any way to redirect to port 80 when doing port forwarding. That was with the original firmware that came with the router a couple of years ago when I bought it. So I went to Linksys' website and got their latest offering. Still couldn't redirect.

Then I learned that the router runs Linux so there are free open source solutions out there. Following a link I found on wikipedia, I ended up using firmware named "DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final (05/16/06) std."

I have spent the last couple of hours on the support forum for DD-WRT and get the impression MANY people using their firmware have issues with Port Forwarding. This could take a while to resolve - and will probably involve a number of upgrades and downgrades of the firmware on the router.

So for those of you that are having no problems redirecting to port 80 - what kind of routers do you have?

I'm running IPCop on an old PC, it's a linux based firewall/NAT router distribution. I ended up going to this route some time ago when my Linksys router died, just pieced it together with some old parts.

ipcop.org

Instead of port forwarding, have you tried designating the ip of the Stoker as DMZ?

My guess is that hackers can't do much damage to the device.

Russell

Yeah, I did try putting it in the DMZ. No luck - likely due to what Matt says about my ISP blocking port 80.

And as some of you may have gathered from what I wrote, this is largely a quest. Since I can successfully use RDP to get to a WinXP Pro machine on my network, I can just launch the Stoker page from that PC. But I would like to see this work just using a browser. So the quest continues and I learn some things along the way!

Thanks for all the input.

Bruce,
Just FYI, I upgraded the software on my Stoker today and can still hit it (port 30000) from outside my network.

I'm assuming you've set a static IP on the Stoker, and made sure you have your subnet mask correct?

Yep. Static IP and the subnet mask is set correctly at 255.255.255.0.

I think it is time to try flashing the Linksys router with different software.

Has anyone got this to work on a Linksys router yet? I thought the problem was my old router and so I bought a new WRT300N and set it to route port 53487 to port 80 to the static IP address I have assigned my Stoker, but no love.

I can access the stoker on my Linksys WRT54G. I just type in my ip address and it hits the built in web server. I setup port forwarding of port 80 to the static ip of the stoker. It looks like I am lucky and my ISP is not blocking port 80 access. It works great on my Palm Treo, nothing like changing the setpoint of your fire while shopping for sides like i did this weekend
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I can access the stoker on my Linksys WRT54G. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jay, if you wouldn't mind (if there's not private information on it) I'd be interested in a screen shot of your setup page on the WRT54G where you setup your port forwarding. I look at it and can't make heads or tails of it. My email address is in my profile. Like you I also use a Treo and want to monitor/control in real time from my device. Lastly, sorry to hear about your experience with the WET11. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that mine keeps working for me.

Not a problem, hope this helps. Im sure you know this, on the treo, or any pc outside of your network, you would type your WAN ip address into your browser. If your still having issues, you could also try adding :80 at the end of the ip.

ie http://12.x.22.10:80

Let me know if you have any further questions. Im in the IT industry, but that doesnt mean I have all the answers.
icon_wink.gif

stokerptfwd.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyS:
Here is the setup page where I do the port forwarding WRT300N

I am on Comcast in central Florida. Any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont have that router, but your setup makes sense. Only thing I can really suggest is to make sure you are browsing to http://xx.xx.xx.xx:53487 where the x's are your external WAN ip address. You might also try different ports until you find one that works. I use the ftp port of 21 for my slingbox because it doesnt get blocked by the firewalls at work
icon_smile.gif

Also, the ip that you have assigned to the stoker, .151, is usually in the DHCP range. Make sure that is what the stoker is actually using presently.

Back