Finallly seasoned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe C

TVWBB Member
After three cooking sessions my WSM finally seems to be 'seasoned'. I cooked up 6 rings of country sausage using John Willingham's recipie this past weekend. Finally got the temps down to where they should be. This weekend is a brisket and more sausage. Gawd this thing is addicting lol. Oh,and don't think I'm the only one eating it all. I give most of it away. You want to talk about happpy friends.

I'm finally seasoned too, but now have encountered a new problem. My lid sticks to the center section of the smoker when I don't do an immediate clean-up (which is about every time...). It has been a challenge to get the lid off the next day on a few occasions!

John
Sound like the center section may be out of round, you can gently message it and correct
that problem.
Jim

I've had the same experience on occasion, but it doesn't have to do with an out of round condition.

Depending on what I cook, I'll end up with a mixture of moisture, grease, smoke, etc. that coats the area where the lid meets the cooking section. If I let that dry with the lid in place (which I normally do), the next time I go to remove the lid it doesn't want to come off! It makes for a pretty strong "glue".

I've not yet had to pry them apart. Usually I can just pull on the lid while holding down the cooking section. As I say, it doesn't happen every time, so I figure it has to do with what I've cooked and perhaps some other factors I don't understand.

Regards,
Chris

John?
Amen to Jim's comments; my WSM had a slight 'rounding issue' that disappeared after some careful, hand remolding! I too procrastinate greatly after each smoking session but have never experienced a 'stick-down'. Sounds like some sort of oil or grease buildup at the lid level so if the remolding doesn?t work you might try just dry-wiping the inside lip of the top and its little shelf on the middle section after each cooking. I regularly perform this ritual even though I know I won't touch the grills or pan until the next weekend.

Joe?
Addictive is probably an understatement! It's good to know that friends and family everywhere react similarly to good WSM cooking! My aquaintances, like yours, have found repetitively extraordinary reasons to visit me now that the WSM has made me famous (or is that infamous!?)!!

My experience has been similiar to Chris' experience. The out-of-round condition of the main body on my WSM is so slight that it is negligible.

However, if I do some pork butts and then when I try to lift the lid the next day(for cleaning) it will stick a little.

The stickiness factor seems to be in direct ratio to how cool the temps were during the night.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back